Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this bad?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Josh I will give it a try. I may have to extrapolate some how though. My old Minolta lets me set F stop on the lense and inside the LCD gives me shutter speed. I am guessing that whatever my Fstop is set at to give me a shutter speed of 1/60 would be roughly the same. Maybe I can compare with my Nikon digital which gives me a an Fstop reading on auto exposure.

Lia,

Although I can't speak from experience, what I would call overfertilizing may cause pitchers to stop forming. I have not heard it will cause stunted plants but instead big luxuriant plants with no pitchers. I deffinately recommend people to suppliment their plants with insects on a regular basis. Fertilizing by other means should be a secondary method for advanced growers unable to fully feed all their plants by natural means.

Superthive is a vitamin supplement. I don't personally use it. There have been proven studies that B1 will help in transplant shock and rooting. I suspect if Superthrive does benefit the plants it is mostly when taking cutting and when repotting. I think it's use on healthy normally growing plants is of little benefit. I can't comment also on consequences of overdose since I have no experience here.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Josh,

to make that measurement the camera should be set to ISO100 and the exposure time and f-stop will give the result. Out of these two numbers the fc can be determined.
    ( http://members.cox.net/lmlauman/osp/...ghting1_2.html )
    This is of course only a measurement for the spectral distribution visible to the camer sensor.

My two 75W MH-lamps do reach about 1000fc.

Joachim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carcinos,

I noticed that my highlanders were like that when it had sunlight all day at the office...leaves were shorter but thicker and redder...pitchers are larger than before.

During my break I brought them home for a month...they had only the morning sun...the leaves became longer and thinner...more yellow...and no pitchers.

So I suppose that your growing conditions are ideal for the plants...no harm done... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey thanks Joachim!
    I will remeasure maybe I have more light than I think! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did some measurements today with my old Minolta SLR. It was about 2:15pm. I had the camera set at f/8. I got slightly different readings depending on whether I was perpendicular to the paper lying flat on the bench or if I was at a 45deg angle facing the direction of the sun. The sun is fairly low in the sky this time of year. I have one piece of shade cloth that covers the peak area so that most of the plants are shaded during the midday time period. I took readings under this and out where there is only the greenhouse covering and no shade cloth. I moved away from the paper until it just filled the viewfinder.

Using the link Joachim provided:
    Under the shade cloth:
    90deg to the paper 500fc
    45deg to the paper 500-1000fc guess that means 750fc

no shade cloth:
    90deg to the paper 1000fc
    45 deg to the paper 2000fc

Keep in mind that plants under the shade cloth are not under it for the entire day. There is an area of greenhouse covering on both sides that have no shade cloth. So as the sun moves across the sky all the plants get some amount of unshaded light during the day.
    A better measure will be during June-July at noon.
    Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taking new measurements with that graph Joachim linked to above I really have bad light. How is it the plants are growing good and giving me 1: 1 pitcher ratios and good color? I must be doing this wrong! I saw a light meter for $24 last weekend I think I'll buy it with the next paycheck.

Highland chamber:
    top shelf: 500 fc
    2nd shelf 200 fc
    3rd shelf: 125 fc
    under bench: 16 fc

Lowland chamber (with 250 W metal halide)
    Top of bench under light 300 fc
    top of bench ends 125
    where orchids hang mounted: 100 fc
    under bench 16 fc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that a light bulb might put out half its light in the PAR range vs a much smaller percentage for the sun. So measuring total foot candles is not necessarily a direct comparison. If you wanted to be specific you would need a PAR meter. ie one that measures photosynthetic active radiation.

This will explain a little of the problem of comparing artificial lights to sunlight:
    IGC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony, Well I guess I'll save my $ then cos I'm not gonna buy a $200 PAR light meter, with that kinda cash I could just buy $200 more worth of lights! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12