User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major score! went to store to get light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capslock,

Beginners luck so far, I haven't wintered the plants.

I've had those ventrata as long as any large neps I've had, a few months. I bought a Rafflesiana from Exotic Gardens to start out. It's outside now, growing much better than it was in it's terrarium a couple weeks ago -- freeing up room for little pincagula primulifora.

I plan on covering my seriously-connected-to-the-outside ventrata with plastic, blankets, or sheets when the temps or humidity get low. If it just gets somewhat cold, I can probably leave it outside covered. If it gets really cold I plan on tearing the one that is vining up the pergola loose, sob, and putting it in a plastic greenhouse (new, on order), or in the bathroom. If necessary I guess I'll take hot water out to the greenhouse or grow racks (new, on order) and steam the neps up. I've got some new and 'spensive amupllaria and space considerations to think about.

From what I understand, even 60 is not a happy temperature for lowlanders if combined with low humidity. Perhaps some expert types could come clarify that one. I've heard 40, 50, and 60 as temps to start worrying. I guess that means I'll worry at 60 since I won't have time to Yahoo parks in the Pacific.

Nep people just make me feel justified in my recent obs...eh, hobby. Thanks. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As rampuppy once said a few months back... "drool... feel free to use the puddle of drool collecting around my feet to water your ever-lasting supply of nepenthes" [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] Great Nepenthes capslock!
    My nepenthes don't look too well... They dont seem to like oklahoma that much... I'm going to have to get a growchamber next near... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talk about something you cannot take credit for.

Today the temp is about 80 the humidity is 100%. It looks like it will get warmer and dryer, but not any time right away.

Thank you, thank you. I planned it that way. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

If there is one thing I've learned it's that the humidity and light really matter. Right now, except for placement and misting, nature is really being helpful.

It's possible this time of year for the temps to "plunge" into the high 60s or below. It could get dry. Meanwhile, it's drizzling and feels like Sumatra.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky, or whatever, I love the fact I can grow these things right now. Whatever happens down the road, at least I've learned tons.

I've been trying and trying to get a picture to focus. Yes, photography is not a strong suit. I really wanted a side view of that pitcher display.

This picture gives you an idea of the variability of the pitchers on the ventrata. My arm signifies one way to estimate .8 of a meter to the plant. Photography can be hard, FYI. If you think it is easy, please post something.

That basket is 16" in diameter for comparison. [img]http://home.**********.com/beagle/vtpfive.jpg[/img]

The second pitcher from the right is very fat-bellied. That is something you may or may not be able to notice right away. I think the pitchers are fattening up generally. Well, except the more elongated ones. That always throws me in the ID process, variability within a particular plant, before you even get to the issue of species, cultivar, whatever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very healthy ventrata you've got there, Beagle, nice picture!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12