What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hmmm...overwatering

Hmmm. My plants seem to be less "perky" than they used to be... and I'm wondering what the signs of overwatering are? Someone told me they are practically the same as underwatering, so how do you know?

One plant's newest leaf growth seems to be coming in rather stunted and odd looking (kind of twisted)... another plant has yellow starting around the edge of one leaf and like black on it and the leaves seem to be droopy rather than stiff. Another one's leaves have gotten spotted with red and orange spots. Also the leaves are light green as opposed to a dark rich green color.

The 36" tank they are in has three lights (2 cool white, 1 grow), the sun comes in early morning for an hour then a reflective cover is affixed to the front. The humidity ranges from 80-95%. Temps range from 60-85degrees. Sometimes the tank gets pretty wet, try and dry it out once a month. I got a new sprayer and that's why i'm wondering if i'm overwatering them (and getting the tank too wet). It 's a pump style sprayer, (you pump it up to pressurize it) then it has a long handle/hose thing with a button that allows the water to be released. Looks like those sprayers that termite people use. It's not as fine a mist as a bottle style sprayer. It puts out a lot more water in bigger drops. Spray them everyday, water once a week.

Anyways, the plants were doing great and now they're beginning to look ill, hence i want to figure out what to do, before they get worse.

what i have in that tank:
khasiana, ventricosa, + two hybrids

Ack!

All help appreciated (big grin)

-Lia

You could very well be overwatering them. I learned that with my planted terrarium. I got so much water in it at one time my N.Ventriocosa's pitcher's were floating on the water!!
wow.gif
But the yeloow on leaves could also be a lack of iron, how often do you feed your plants?

Probably overwatering. In an enclosed terrarium I would be surprised if they need watering once a month. The potting mix should be allowed to dry out slightly before watering.

overwatered and underwatered symptoms look similiar. dehydrated limp plants. In the case of underwatering it's dehydration because there isn't enough water for the plant to absorb. In the case of overwatering there is no longer a healthy root system to absorb moisture. You should be able to tell the difference simply by what the potting mix has been like and your watering practices in the past. If it has been allowed to dry out into a brick or if it has been kept soggy and wet.

Looking at the roots will usually tell you quickly if they are healthy or not.

The yellowing around the edge and black could also be a sign of overwatering or problems with accumulated salts. They could also indicate some disease problems as can the red spots. Is there a small fan inside to help circulate air?
Tony

I didn't overwater my n.ventricosa, but got some very deformed leaves and pitchers from overdosing with ST. So....watch out for that too.

Decided, thanks to excellent advice (thanks everyone! ) , to cut back the water and see what happens.

As for NG's question: The pitchers are still smallish on most of my plants, and hence difficult to feed so i haven't been. Maybe I'll superthrive them next month
smile.gif
when i water them again. Whatcha think?

I still wish there was a carnivorous plant book available that had pictures of different diseases and insects, and included pictures of over and underwatering symptoms as well... The Savage Garden's pictures were way to small and blurry.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe I'll superthrive them next month when i water them again. Whatcha think?
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Sounds good to me! I think that should help them much. How large ARE your pitchers by the way, thanks!

Back