What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Care

I just got my first Nepenthes, and I was just wondering what kind of conditions to give it. Would it be the same as a VFT? Distilled water of course, and about 5 hours of sun a day? This is what I give my VFT's and my S. Judith Hindle, and they seem to love it. I just wanted to make sure that the Nep is grown in the same conditions, warmer? Less sun? I am clueless on the Nep as of now. Thanx

Any idea what kind of Nepenthes?

Generally they need fairly high humidity to grow and pitcher well (60-70% range). They don't need full sun and likely you will burn it if the plant is not used to it. So keep it in a somewhat shaded spot at first, where it can get a little early morning or evening sun and just bright light the rest of the day. Keep the plant moist but not sitting in water, and don't let it dry out.

Most likely the plant will need to acclimate to your growing environment. Don't be surprised if you lose some pitchers during this adjustment period. If they are green but without fluid, it helps to add some water. It may have been lost in shipping and/or the plant absorbed it.
Tony

I have no Idea what kind it is, all it says on the label is Nepenthes. The pitchers are super small right now so I don't even think I'd be able to tell if there is fluid in them.

Where did you get the Nepenthes? If it was from a Lowe's it is most likely the Red form of Ventricosa. If from Home Depot it could be that or a hybrid that is of unknown ancestry.

General care for Nepenthes is what Tony has said. And yes add water to your pitchers there, it will greatly benfit the plant.

I got the nep froma small nursery that is by my house, is their any way to tell what kind it is?

Once the plant produces mature pitchers (which will be a while) about 1 year at the least. Then it will be much easier and more likely to give you an identification for your plant.

How wide is it? My N. x ventrata was eight inches across when I got it, and not its eighteen... i got it in february, and its producing mature pitchers...

The pitchers are super tiny, maybe a quarter inch from top to bottom of the pitcher. No where near 8 inches across, there are only two tiny pitchers on it right now, and now they are all wilted and not looking so good, any suggestions on what I could do to this plant to help it would be much appreciated.

To help your plant out you need to give it higher humidity and it needs to be in mild conditions so it can recuperate. This can be accomplished by placing the plant in a terrarium,plastic bag, similar enclosure and spray the enclosure with distilled/RO/rain water to start it off at very high humdity then close up the enclosure and humidity should remain high all the time. It should be in room temperature as we do not know what species it is yet (treat it as an intermediate). Have your enclosure with you plant in it at a room/house temperature. (Average house temperature 60-80*F) Have the enclosure in bright light but not full sun as it could over heat the enclosure and most likely kill your maimed plant. Once the plant has recovered and is making new growth and pitchers you can begin to feed it with small insects (ants, baby nymph crickets,etc.) Your plant should recover within a matter of months and it should resume regular growth once it is recovered.

Don't be surprised if it does NOTHING for a couple of months. I did the same thing you did (bought one from little pot of horrors at the local nursery), and it just SAT THERE for three months!! Just a bout two weeks ago it finally has started to show signs of new growth. I guess it was homesick...
wink.gif
wow.gif

Back