What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitchers turning brown

G

Why would my Neps pitchers suddenly start turning brown? Could it be a humidity issue? My roommate took the cover off my terrarium and forgot to put it back so they were exposed to the open air for a few hours the other day. Could that be it?
Thanks for any advice
smile.gif

Most likely they got blasted from the drop in humidity.
T

If you think your plant is still capable of digesting prey - you could try feeding it your room mate!

Neps don't like any suddden negative envronmental changes in my experience, although some species can adapt if given time and the changes are made slowly. Relative Humidity (RH) inside a terrarium is usually very high but inside a room that feels comfortable to us, RH is way lower. Stressed Nepenthes lose their pitchers before any leaves start dying off and this can happen quite suddenly. I believe your plant may have absorbed liquid from it's pitchers before they died to attempt to compensate for suddenly increased transpiration rate from the leaves.

Of course, it may flower for you if it was *really* shocked and thought it was about to die!
biggrin.gif

Rob Cantley

I am with Rob, feed it your roomate.
tounge.gif

Sounds like a low humidity drop like Tony and Rob said. Give it higher humidity and it should recover shortly and be back on track.
smile.gif

Hmm.. I don't think he'd fit in the pitchers! I can dream though.. a Nep with 6' pitchers would do the job nicely..

I dunno....I think it might be more fun to watch him strugle against a Drosera with a 6' leaf....all the goo, all wrapped up....aaaahahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Well, since this is a post on dieing pitchers. Since one of my pitchers are dieing...I am wondering if cutting the top of the pitcher work, as in keeping the pitcher alive longer? If it does not work at least I could feed it plenty of bugs before it dies. So you think cutting the pitcher would work? And if that does not work how about leafing cutting? Or is it to late because the pitcher is on the way out.

Hmmm, I need a roomate...winter is coming and the aints will not be around
wink.gif
. I just need one roomate for the winter... hehehehe *evil giggle*
wink.gif
tounge.gif

Back