What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep

how much humidity is needed for highland neps

always above 60% with a higher humidity reading at night,
Kevin

My Highland plants do well with very high humidity and moving air, here's a photo of how my highland tank looks before I open it:
highlandtank.jpg

The air inside is continually moving from fresh air being blown into the tank from an outside window. The incoming air is humidified from the output of an Ultrasonic humidifier in the air duct before it reaches the grow chamber. The plants are living in constant swirling fog, an aproximation of the same bright, cool and bouyant environment as seen in wildlife photos of highland habitats.
At night there is less fog because the temperature drops to 50-60*F and there is a faster breeze but the hygrometer tells me the humidity is still at saturation level overnight and wetness forms on soil surfaces (but not plant leaves as the air is moving with the swirling air).

highlands can handle a bit lower humidity then lowlands but lowlands can handle wetter conditions then highlands , always make aure there is good air circulation .

Back