Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: N. faizaliana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

many thanks for your replies!

Rob, can you tell us the location where your seeds of N. faizaliana originates from? I also would be very interested in a picture of a bigger pitcher of your clone.

I can't comment on Andreas plants - I've dropped him a note, but he seems te be on vacation. Andreas clone looks indeed very similar to the plants Rob sells.

From my interpretation of the reprint of the type description in Flora Malesiana Vol. 15, 2001 by Adam and Wilcock I also strongly suspect the N. faizaliana clone of Rob being labeled right. Pitcher shape and also the shape of the peristome are different from the description. Also the basal appendage under the lid is missing. I don't know how stable these features are, but I hope they used a typical and not an extreme clone of N. faizaliana for their description. Of course this clone looks very nice and showy!

The plant from Chien matches the description better - but the basal appendage is also missing. I'm not able to judge if this clone is labeled right. I hope it developes into a plant looking similar to the spectacular plants seen on photos from habit [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] BTW has anybody pictures of both parent plants?

Cheers Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Rob's source and I will attempt to get some more information from them when I next see them.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, although I know that the seed ABG produced was from their in-house stock, I don't know where the parent plants originated from. I agree with you Joachim, in that Andreas' plants look very similar to my clones. As the plants get larger they develop interesting characteristics. I'm at the highlands nursery right now but the weather has been terrible for photography. I managed to take a few quick photos today of N. jacquelineae and possible hybrid (see another thread) and shall try to take a photo tomorow morning of one of the larger N. faizaliana before I leave.

Cheers,

Rob
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at ABG today and asked about this plant. The seed were obtained by a man made cross between two plants labled faizaliana. Only the female flowers that were pollinated by the male were kept on the spike, all others were removed and the plant was isolated from all the other Neps in the greenhouse. While I was mistaken that my plant from there is an F2 generation I looked over all the plants that were on the bench and all have the same basic charactheristics so I believe that still holds well as an argument against the plant being a hybrid as one would expect a batch of hybrid plants to display markedly different characteristics due to random genetic segregation of parental genes.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Joachim,
    My N. faizaliana looks like the one that Tony has from Borneo Exotics. You can see my plant at my website Nepenthes around the house. But since you and I have spoken already maybe you're familiar with the site! ;-)
    I bought my plant from California Carnivores 3 years ago I believe. Don't know where they got their version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Pardon for my intrution, but I was wondering if the n. faizaliana a highland or a lowland. It sure is a beauty. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Mom says: "Its stupid to collect plants that all look alike! Get a new hobie!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey NepsAroundTheHouse,

I took your website as inspiration to grow neps around the house here in San Francisco. I also bought my first plant at California Carnivores, a ventricosa. Now I have 15 of them! Nice work! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andenes,

Faizaliana is classified as a highland but I find it actually grows better as an intermediate. Mine is currently on my deck here in Atlanta and growing very well.

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast