Thread: N. faizaliana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Dean Cook has now labeled his N. faizaliana as N. fusca Sarawak:

http://www.ourcpsite.com/wwwboard/messages/3460.html

Judging from the picture this could be one of Rob's plants. Is anyone in contact with Dean and has additional infos why he did this?

Cheers Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All:

I don't have much input for this topic, but i was just wondering if in fact:

N. faizaliana, N. fallax, and N. stenophylla are the same thing. maybe not, and that's what we are seeing here!!

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Joachim Danz @ Sep. 09 2003,07:35)
    Hi,

Dean Cook has now labeled his N. faizaliana as N. fusca Sarawak:

http://www.ourcpsite.com/wwwboard/messages/3460.html

Judging from the picture this could be one of Rob's plants. Is anyone in contact with Dean and has additional infos why he did this?

Cheers Joachim[/QUOTE]
    Hi
    I have ordered a N. faizaliana from Rob, which I will be picking up this weekend. I too have noticed it is now classified on Robs list as N. fusca Sarawak. Have to ask him about the details.

Are you going to the EEE in Reading this weekend Joachim? I wonder if Andreas will be there?

cheers

bill [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/alien.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blah... time to change labels I guess, although I am not convinced it's N. fusca either [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Have not heard anything myself. Rob is super busy getting ready for his trip to England.

T
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

what is intersting about this N. faizaliana or N. fusca is the level of digestion fluid in the pitchers. About half of the pitcher is filled, something I didn't see in my other species which normally have about the lower third of their pitchers filled. The plant does this by its own, I don't mist my plants or water the pitchers.

Bill, sadly I won't attend the meeting - it is a long travel from Munich [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] Christian will come and hopefully picks a plant for me.

Cheers Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm typing this at the airport in Colombo en-route to England with 8 huge boxes of plants. You should have seen their faces at check-in.

According to Ch'ien Lee the "N. faizaliana" from ABG is definitely N. fusca. It is all over the place in Sarawkak and conforms precisely with the type specimens for this species. I am now convinced he's correct.

The N. fusca most of us think of as "typical", grows by the roadside in Sabah and seed is very easy to obtain, hence it is very common in cultivation compared to the form of N. fusca from Sarawak (often mistakenly called N. faizaliana in cultivation until recently). The Sarawak form is usually an epiphyte in the crowns of very large trees and therefore is difficult to find in the wild, although it has a wide distrbution.

We'll have a brand new website up by end of Octoher and hope to have an article on this topic complete with habitat photos that haven't been published before.

To my mind the Sarawak form of N. fusca is a very beautiful Nepenthes and is easy to grow as well.

We have an unusual flared peristome form of N. fusca from Sabah that we cannot decide if it's a hybrid or not. However, when the leaves are more than about 20cm (8") long they start to develop peltate characteristics. Very strange!

See some of you at the EEE next weekend!

Rob
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rob,

I figured that ABG would be interested in this so I passed it on and here is what our mutual friend had to say:

That's interesting, as we NEVER made seed from plants labelled N. fusca and the plant labelled N. faizaliana are sooooo different from fusca that it's not even funny. John De Kanel gave me fusca recently and I still have N. faizaliana in culture too so we can compare. I'll check. Maybe Chien thinks we have a "new" form of fusca but they sure are different.....[/QUOTE]
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

FYI the N. faizaliana clone from Malesiana Tropicals has produced a more mature looking pitcher with the expected apendage below the lid:

So I'm quite confident this plant is a true N. faizaliana. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers Joachim

9. Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast