Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: N. faizaliana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I'm growing two different plants labeled N. faizaliana. One originates from Rob (Borneo Exotics) and the other one originates from Malesiana Tropicals. Both plants look so considerable different that I strongly suspect them being the same species. Both of my plants are quite small and so I'm not able to judge whether they are labeled correct or not:

Malesiana Tropicals clone:

Borneo Exotics clone:

So if anyone has grown these clones to a bigger size, I would be interested in what they look like when being bigger.

Cheers Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi - I don't like posting links to other vendors here, but here's some info about that species from the Nepenthes University section of CP Jungle's website:

Nep University

N. faizaliana is discussed in the final paragraph. Personally, I think your two plants look very similar, with similar variation as other species, but I'm an amateur.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to be alot of unclear things about this plant. I spent a fair amount of time at the greenhouse today looking at plants from Borneo Exotics, Wistuba, and Malesiana. I did not do indepth comparisons with the description in Charles Clarkes Nepenthes of Borneo. The plants themselves (not pitchers) all looked fairly similar. Pitcher comparison yielded the same results you saw Joachim. The ones from Malesiana look different from both the Borneo Exotics seedlings and the Wistuba clone. The latter two were difficult to tell apart. I really don't know what the deal is. Perhaps just variation within the species as mentioned. And what we are seeing is the result of collecting samples from different populations.

Anyway.. Here is a picture of a slightly more mature clone from Malesiana. I do have some good sized plants but it will be a few months before the pitchers develop. This plant is not huge but has a decent pitcher about 8cm tall. You can see pitcher shape and color is still fairly different.
    Tony

Similar size pitcher on Borneo Exotics seedling.

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got my N.faizaliana from Malesiana too this month. Basically the same as what Tony had posted though its a bit darker in color.

Its ok for plants to go \"CARNIVOROUS\" but I advice you to stay VEGETARIAN!!!
    !--------------------------------------------!
    http://www.geocities.com/pinoycp/
    !--------------------------------------------!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least they all look attractive. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, I don't have much time on the forum just now but just couldn't miss this particular debate! It's been a debate for some time before your interesting posting Joachim. Particularly interesting because of the comparative photos.

The BE clone (actualy many clones) originated from seeds produced at Atlanta Botanic Gardens from what they believe to be adult N. faizalinana. Charles Clarke was asked by the curator whether he thought the parents were true N. faizailiana or not. Charles said that he believed they were. I was stading there at the time so I know what was said for sure, although I wasn't involved directly in the discussion.

The other side of the coin is that Ch'ien Lee has taken a look at photos of BE's N. faizaliana and believes them to be a variety of N fusca and not N. faizaliana on account of the non orbiculate lid. We disagree on this point for now. If the BE clone is not N. faizaliana then it is possibly an as yet undescribed species; I doubt it is N. fusca. You will find that as the plant matures it differs radically from the published description of N. fusca.

To me, the MT form of N. faizaliana has the appearance of a hybrid although Ch'ien is a very good taxonomist with extensive field experience. N. stenophylla has some similarities in appearance....

It could of course be that the original description of N. faizaliana as a species may turn out to be invalid. Stranger things have happened!

Rob
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an ABG clone of faizaliana as well and I believe that it might be an F2 of a cross between a male and female from the first batch (I'd have to ask my source.) I have also been able to observe many other specimines from this batch of TC'd plants. The plants are all almost identical to Joachim's BE clone picture (slight variatoin in colour levels but that I think would be expected.)I would think that would argue against this plant being a hybrid as F2 hybrid crosses tend to display variable traits between offspring
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know where Wistuba clone originated?

Here is a pic of a plant similar in size to the Malesiana and Borneo Exotics plants pictured.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast