Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laterite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi !!
    Thank you for your replies.
    -(Swords) Very interesting also Flourite.

Does Laterite and Flourite contain others microelements that could be dangerous for Nepenthes if overdosed ?

Next spring I will repot my N.truncata, can I use Laterite for it?

Kind regards

rajah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you need to worry about laterite clay or Flourite but anything that may add an alkaline element (such as powdered lime) may be bad for Neps. I don't know because I've not tried it and have no immediate plans to.

I do know if you use too much fertilizer (of the N-P-K type) you can burn the roots and possibly kill it. I use orchid fertilizer called GrowMore which is Urea Free and is supposed to be a "gentler" form of Nitrogen. I cut the formula down by 1/4 and fertilize every two weeks or so by flushing the pot with fertilizer water and then a few days later flush the pot again with pure R/O water and usually do another watering (sometimes two) with R/O water before I fertilize again. There are some people which use regular Osmocote fertilizer but I haven't used it myself so you'd have to check out the posts below for info on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi !!
    I only give to my Nepenthes Superthrive once a month (in a solution of six-seven drops for a litre of distilled water). Can Laterite and Superthrive be incompatible ?

rajah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'll add to the top about that. right now i'm playing around w/ a stuff called Multi Cote 18-6-12 it a time released plant food. feeds up to 9 months. right now i have it in 3 mature plants and 1 seedling. the 3 are N.velvet,judith,gracilis and 1 is truncata. the velvet and gracilis i have notices a diff in size of the pitchers and growth rate a little bit faster and the pitchers are bigger. judith and truncata there seem to be no diff. in the growth of the plant at all. i have only been using this stuff for about 2 months now and really it is to early to even say anything. since i have 9 months w/ the 8 pellets sitting on top of the potting mix to feed the plants.
    from reading up on a diff topic that Borneo played around w/ the stuff he used a stronger dossage to feed the plants. i figured i would start out with a weeker formula and not risk the lives of the plants. so for right now i can say that i don't see no harm in the plants growth at all right now but, if you do deside to try this at home and i will tell you the same thing i was told please be careful.
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's quite a large dosage of Superthive considering the directions are 1 drop per 4 liters. Are your plants pitchering and growing ok? Some people have said their plants quit pitchering when given large amounts of Superthrive.

I don't think there would be any conflict between Superthrive and laterite clay as ST is chemically produced plant hormones and laterite clay is simply an organic iron silicate.

Iron and other nutrients are required by all plants in varying quanities, some more than others, neps very little in comparison to a fast growing houseplant. I believe growth hormones such as Superthrive should not be looked as replacements for real nutrients but as enhancers to an already well balanced diet for your plants. Kind of like Ice cream after the steak! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Don't forget to feed the plants some juicy bugs too! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Swords for your advices.

You give 1 drop per 4 liters, how many times a months ?

A friend gave me superthrive in some Eppendorf and I don't have directions
    My Nepenthes pitcher from spring to autumn, in winter only sporadically for the reduction of photoperiod.
    I also give bugs, ants and wasps.

Regards

rajah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    superthrive quantities- 1/4 ts (1ml.) per gallon (4L) for activity or stress. one drop per small cupful. three ounces per 100 gal.

well that is whats writen on the back of the bottle i got

edit:
    very soft plants, or constant, daily or maintenance use: one or a few drops per gallon, one ounce per 500 gal. (30 mil. per 2,000 liters)

bare-root soaking
    soak roots 15 or 30 min, 1 1/2 tsb. per 5 gal. for roses and tender plants. others: one ounce (2 tbs.)per 5 gal.
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks GEORGE-CP,

What about the frequency ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast