Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laterite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi !!
    I'd like to have some information about this iron (Fe) rich compound.
    Is there someone that add laterite in Nepenthes substratum?
    If yes, what is the correct dosage?

I found a tropical laterite from Sri Lanka could it be useful for some Nepenthes? Wich?

Kind regards

rajah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rajah ,

yes , I do use latterite in my soil mixes for nepenthes. I use it in association with giant tree-fern roots I've found on some islands...

I breaks the root in little 1in long pieces , I fill my pot with that medium , add , the plant , and at least , I give a good "handfull" latterite to the pot....:0

Ok , it sounds barbarous , but that's the way I'm rooting all my Neps...

After 2 years , the soil mix is still there...fern-tree-root is were stable , and a little laterite-add per year is all the "care" I give to my soils...

Hope I helped

Patrice
    Patrice - France

Worlds too big to be discovered !

my site : http://carnibank.be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there Rajah,

I too am experimenting with laterite on my, well, one of my N. rajahs! In one pot I have a rajah in LFS & orchid bark, the other two rajahs I'm experimenting with are offshoots from the first one which has been planted (as a cutting, no roots) into two different mixes:
    Exp #1: LFS, orchid bark and laterite clay baked into 1-2 mm size granules (I tried silicate laterite from substrate gold brand before and it degrades and forms a hard mass when used in planting mix I'll say avoid this type)
    Exp #2: LFS, Orchid bark and Flourite this is a commercial Iron & Magnesium baked clay substrate of 2-5mm in size made for planted fish aquaria (which I have plenty of so getting a scoop of this was no problem)
    Someone here told me Ultramafic soils are defined as a mix of Fe & Mg so if either product I'm using has any positive effect I would expect the Flourite to, but so far these two plants have only just now settled in, rooted and started putting out new leaves after a couple months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds Like your doing well with it then eh Swords? what is the leaf span tip to tip ?
    just curious.

Peace [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the rajah is doing well, it was 3" when I got it in June or July but it's a bit weird that the plant is only 8" across and still making 1 1/2" immature pitchers but it's making lots of offshoots around it's base, people have said it tends to do this.
    I removed those two and another two are ready to come off whenever I decide when to repot the "mother" plant from it's 6" pot. Kind of nice to have a plant like rajah self propagate! For a highlander N. rajah is a pretty fast grower but not as fast as N. hamata who seems to be the fastest highlander I have even over the Judith Finn hybrid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your saying your rajah is already puting out more off shoots
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, 4 offshoots if I remove these next two that'll be 5 plants for the price of one (which I got a good price on anyway) that's a bargin! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kool, maybe i should finally repot my rajah. since it is still in the same pot it was shipped to me in. had it since sept.
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast