User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about your large terrarium setup

JoeC
    Ive been thinking about building a terrarium myself, but havent really thought to post anything. A couple questions ill add is do you need to have any sort of ventilation or active air circulation? also I notice that all the pictures show the plants in individuals pots and what not....im curious if there is any reason for that or would it be ok to grow all the plants you have in there in one big slue of moss and stuff....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doh! guess i was a bit "demented" myself at 2:40am when i posted that (chuckle) At least you got the idea, though!

-whiseperson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,

I have a large (75 gallon) terrarium which has everything planted and decorated in a natural way, see:
    <image src="http://the-natural-aquarium.com/75cloudnoon.jpg">

I'm building my large terrarium so that I can make it a naturalistic setting with a giant cork tree trunk with nepenthes planted in it, along with cycads, masdevallia/dracula orchids and other epiphytes. But I will be using cuttings from my nepenthes and not my mother plants, those still get their own pot so they can be babied.

JoeC
    swords....that right there is totally sweet:)
    Thats just about what I envision mine to look like.
    (although i figure it will come out quite different)
    Do you circulate the water or anything?

Well..thanks for the cool pic...
    JC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually the terrarium is located in my brothers room. Right now he's going to college and he just got home. It was a nice surprise for him... Muhwahahahah! I made sure the terrarium will have lots of room for climbing stems of nepenthes (I know thats a while off) and for tall orchids and such.

BTW: Does anyone know how to kill algae without damaging my plants? You can see the algae as the light green in one of the pics. Maybe Barley? :biggrin:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords,,

There is a specially designed sealer for wood that I use for making my rafting dry boxes. It will make wood completly waterproof (I can testify to that as I have burried my boat in some big holes and waves and I have flipped the boat, inside the box has always remained dry.) I can remember the name off the top of my head but I'll rumage through my river closet when I get home and see if I still have the lable or the can.

Pyro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JoeC, there is a small water pump which pours water continuously over the pieces of wood, this keeps the wood soaking wet and mosses (about 4 different types), butterworts, tiny ferns, crystalwort, and saginellia have all colonized it and I'm gonna add some epiphytic bladderworts soon.
    The water is dark brown because the water is pooled in a dug out section of pure long fibered sphagnum moss. I have a few scoops of gravel and some river stones in there to add interest to the bottom and add some aquatic plant anchoring sites. I have a group of steel blue gardneri killies who absolutely love this peaty bog and can snack continuously from the springtails and other copeopods hopping across the terrarium floor and falling into the water.
    There is a full description of the setup at:
    http://the-natural-aquarium.com/Cloudterrarium.html

Pyro, thanks for looking up that sealer! Today is payday too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't use Thompson's water seal to seal your plywood unless you paint over it with an epoxy paint afterwards. It is toxic and will leach out otherwise. You can get some good epoxy paint at a marine store. You can seal up the seams with 5200 sealant. It is much better than silicone. Good luck.

Kim

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast