Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about your large terrarium setup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I built myself a 4 ft tall x 2 ft deep by 2 ft wide terrarium out of plywood and plexiglass. Since wood is porous I can't seem to keep the humidity high enough. 8-(
    I've decided to give it to my cousin for her new python and build myself a new one.

Instead of throwing away &#3650-100 again I was wondering if any of you DIYers might share descriptions and/or photos of your setups. I'm thinking in terms of 4ft x2ft x 2ft (apx 100 gallons or larger). I want to be able to maintain 80-100% humidity as effortlessly as possible. A huge aquarium would be nice but the price is so much cheaper homemade.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi there,
    i have been thinking about building a custom enclosure too. one idea i had was to use the same sheets of material that is used on bathroom walls and showers. i'm not sure of its exact name, but it's shiny white, non-porous, and i'm pretty sure it's sold in 4 x 8 sheets.it's a kind of paneling. should be available in just about any DIY store. i think it would be a good liner on the inside of the enclosure, sealing the corners and seams with silicone or caulk would probably be good too. hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say...! I never thought of that! I will hit the Home Depot tomorrow and check the price of materials!

Any idea how this is cut to size? I assume it would crack even with a fine jigsaw blade but maybe not...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    swords,

I can't remember the addresses off the top of my head, but there is a DIY hobby within the aquarium community of building fish tanks from plywood... they use some type of epoxy sealant I think... I can't remember exactly... check it out though... they make massive ones, 3, 4, 500 galloners.... I think you might be able to find it on www.thekrib.com

I would think keeping your current one and applying a coat of waterproofing to the inside panels would be a more economical solution for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I have:

A 6' x 6' x 2' terrarium consisting of two levels. Three of the walls are made out of that 4' x 8' slick white sheeting. The third wall is some thick plastic found at Wal-Mart and attached by velcro.

The middle shelf is slightly lower than the middle to provide ample room for nepenthes vines and such. It has a lighting diffuser grid to keep the Neps from being wet and a pipe that drains excess water to the shelf at the bottom.

The bottom has no grid, is much shorter, is undrained and is perfect for growing any non-nep short enuf to fit.

Each level has two Flourescent fixtures suspended by chains making a total of eight bulbs.

The trays are also made out of the sheeting. The edges are painted wood and sealed by silicon glue.

This terrarium is freakin' huge however (more of a mobile home than greenhouse) and might not suit ur needs. The whole thing works pretty well and maintains the humidity at 70-100+. Natrually the adding of water to it makes the humidity jump.

The bottom is perfect for (but not yet limited to): Sundews, Bladderworts, VFTs, Cobras.

The top: Neps, Butterworts (mostly bcs they get roasted with the close lights on the bottom). Also orchids, AVs, and other tropicals grow well on the top level.

As you have guessed the top has lights suspended higher than the bottom level.

Whew! :biggrin:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey gafoto, is there any way you could post a picture or 2 of your terrarium? i'd love to see what it looks like! please?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, yes please I'd love to see it as well!

Huge is the direction I'm heading! My dream terrarium is 8 ft L x 8ft H x 4ft D, I could have the space for my mega-varium but it would mean getting rid of my 40 gallon planted killifish tank... or the couch....! 8-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be much less expensive for you to just use a good sealer on the plywood portion. You could use an epoxy paint or resin and this would end the porous part of the plywood and retain humidity. Good luck.

Kim

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast