What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Nep for Me?

Hi. I was thinking of a nice HL type for my windowsill, as my overly small 5 gallon tank is filled with ONLY 6 neps! I gotta get another tank...

Back to subject, I was thinking of the following neps:

hamata (if i can find for cheap!
smile.gif
)
fusca
tobiaca
lowii
rajah

if not possible to keep on the windowsill, i can set up a 10 gallon for all the neps, so my i can streath it. Thansk-Zach

The only one you could keep on your wondowsill in your list there would probably be N.Tobaica. It would probably do fine as it is like a highland N.Gracilis. Just mist it daily. The other Neps there require a more stable atmosphere Rajah,Lowii, and Hamata all require higher humidity at night. Fusca would do fine in a regular setup, and you could put tobaica most any where, in with a Rajah,Lowii,Hamata anyplace! But for a windowsill go with Tobaica.

tobaica will outgrow a terrarium in a matter of a month or two once it starts shooting up. It is not in my opinion a good plant for keeping short because the internodes can easily be 4-5 inches. On a windowsill it will be ok if your humidity is good. It is one that prefers a more humid environment.

fusca would be good. hamata is ok but won't pitcher well without decent humidity. rajah I wouldn't recommend. lowii perhaps...
Tony

N. anamensis... Was apprenetly grown by James and Patricia Pietropaolo (authors of "Carnivorous Plants of the World") in the bedroom, like any other housplant... Low humidity and all... Forced hot air ducts, no misting wutsoever... Possible something to look into?

I think is considered a variation of mirabilis now... Am I right or wrong?

N.Anamensis is considered a Khasiana variation. If it was a varation of Mirabilis it most certainly couldn't stay on a windowsill unless it was on a greenhouse sill!  
biggrin.gif
But yes, as Parasuco mentioned try N.Khasiana unless you already have it, and it should do fine, as it is known for it's resistance to extreme changes in it's environment. Including low humdity and temp. resistance.

Hmm..after some looking around at prices, etc, im going to get a tobaica. Thansk-Zach

I know this is an old topic, but I thought I should point something out. N. anamensis is , infact, a variation of N. mirabilis according to The Savage Garden. I think it states that its from Vietnam.

Back