What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

questions......

i know which web page you are talking about. but you have to amit that is one big pitcher to be able to put a mouse into. i would of passed on the picture thu.

ram puppy...grey hair? lol.j/k I can't make fun of that stuff cause my dad is getting grey...

next question....
tounge.gif

1...describe fusca!...

2...and villosa...

3...and mirabilis!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

fusca-has long,cylindrical pitchers heavily marked in purplish red, with a stunning peristome so purple maroon it looks almost black. lids are very narrow & triangular. upper pitchers are short and very funnel-shaped, sometimes spotted, with unusually narrow and downward-curved lids.

villosa-upper & lower pitchers are similar. plump & roundish, up to 8" tall, red orange in color, and covered with an animal-like pelt fur. lid is large & held horizontally.the peristome looks like a row of raised claws, sharp as razors and yellow in color

mirabilis-leaves typically are paper thin. the upper & lower pitchers are usually the same. bulbous bottom, round mouth and lid, flatten peristome, and color green to suffused w/ red

no one has answered the symbiotic questions yet! come on guys! SIMPLE!

My hair is brown, neither light, nor dark. I aint old enough for grey yet man! I'm only 27!
mad.gif

sorry puppy please don't ram me!

*runs and hides in corner*

that was a good idea, MixDJ!
biggrin.gif

rampuppy, what does symbiotic mean. i looked it up in the dictionary and it isn't there.

Symbiosis is in short, a mutually beneficial relationship.

An example would be the bacteria that live in your intestines.. you provide them with a nice warm place to live, they provide you with the assistance you need breaking down more complex forms of protien and plant fiber (cellulose).

another example of a symbiotic relationship, would be between sharks and remorae, they clean the shark of microscopic organisms and get food, the shark does not eat them, and also provides protection.

will i would have to say a spider

You gotta name the plant, and the creature, and what the relationship is!

Do you guys want some hints?

I think I have actually thought of a third species of Nepenthes that has a symbiotic relationship... a slightly odd one at that! come on! a little study folks! I can tell you I own BOTH of the first two!

OH... I see how it is... you'll play with other people, but not the Ram_Pup!

Fine...

smile.gif

One of the answers is:

Nepenthes Albomarginata and the Termite, the termite that finds Albomarginata goes and gets his colony, which then comes and proceeds to clip the white hairs in the collar around the lip of albomarginata. For every so many termites that get away with one of those nutritious hairs, a termite falls into albomarginata, feeding it.

HINT: One of the other suspected symbiotes involves a Nepenthes that grows white nodules on the underside of it's lid, and a little flying thing that likes to eat them...

HINT: The Other KNOWN symbiote, is famous for his smile.

Symbiosis is basically where two organisms live together. There are three types of symbiosis:

Mutualistic is where BOTH organisms benefit from the relationship - such as algae and fungi when they become lichen.

Commensalism is where one benefits and the other isn't affected either negatively or positively, kind of like marriage.

Last kind is Parasitic Symbiosis where one benefits and the other is harmed in the process. This includes all parasites such as tape worms, etc.

Ram my guess for your mutualistically symbiotic Nep with a smile is good old bical with the ants?

Cheers, Troy.

Right on Fatboy!
smile.gif

You win absolutely NOTHING! But my undying respect, well, techincally you already had that...
smile.gif

really ram_pup? wow! maybe nobody answered cause nobody knew the answer!lol
biggrin.gif
ok..... how long can the climbing vine of rafflesenia get? A...no vine... B...3-10 feet... C...10-20 feet... D...20-25 feet... E...25-30 feet... F...30-40 feet... G...none of the above
biggrin.gif

White nodules? Could that possibly N. lowii, and its little birdie friends that poop in it's mouth?

Parasuco I reckon you is right too my man.

Hey George, isn't it my turn to ask cause I got the last one right?
What specie of Nep MAY not actually be carnivorous???

Cheers from a very tired fatboy - it's 11:30AM and I'm FINALLY going to bed.

fatboy you the man on that question. my mind was blank and when i saw the answer i was like daa. how stupid can i be

Parasuco, you are da man...

smile.gif

Unlike Fatboy, you have won an all expenses payed vacation to exotic Texas, where you can spend exotic nights under the Texas skies, where the stars are definately big and bright.

Inorder to claim your prize, please send a self addressed and stamped envelope, plus 1,000.00 America dollars cash (concealed please) to the address provided to you in your Messenger!

Thanks for Playing!

Whew, lucky I didn't win after all, don't think I could afford it!

So... no takers on my question:

"which species of Nepenthes MAY be vegetarian?"

Back