Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: questions......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry puppy please don't ram me!

*runs and hides in corner*

that was a good idea, MixDJ! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rampuppy, what does symbiotic mean. i looked it up in the dictionary and it isn't there.
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Symbiosis is in short, a mutually beneficial relationship.

An example would be the bacteria that live in your intestines.. you provide them with a nice warm place to live, they provide you with the assistance you need breaking down more complex forms of protien and plant fiber (cellulose).

another example of a symbiotic relationship, would be between sharks and remorae, they clean the shark of microscopic organisms and get food, the shark does not eat them, and also provides protection.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will i would have to say a spider
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You gotta name the plant, and the creature, and what the relationship is!

Do you guys want some hints?

I think I have actually thought of a third species of Nepenthes that has a symbiotic relationship... a slightly odd one at that! come on! a little study folks! I can tell you I own BOTH of the first two!
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH... I see how it is... you'll play with other people, but not the Ram_Pup!

Fine...

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

One of the answers is:

Nepenthes Albomarginata and the Termite, the termite that finds Albomarginata goes and gets his colony, which then comes and proceeds to clip the white hairs in the collar around the lip of albomarginata. For every so many termites that get away with one of those nutritious hairs, a termite falls into albomarginata, feeding it.

HINT: One of the other suspected symbiotes involves a Nepenthes that grows white nodules on the underside of it's lid, and a little flying thing that likes to eat them...

HINT: The Other KNOWN symbiote, is famous for his smile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Symbiosis is basically where two organisms live together. There are three types of symbiosis:

Mutualistic is where BOTH organisms benefit from the relationship - such as algae and fungi when they become lichen.

Commensalism is where one benefits and the other isn't affected either negatively or positively, kind of like marriage.

Last kind is Parasitic Symbiosis where one benefits and the other is harmed in the process. This includes all parasites such as tape worms, etc.

Ram my guess for your mutualistically symbiotic Nep with a smile is good old bical with the ants?

Cheers, Troy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right on Fatboy! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

You win absolutely NOTHING! But my undying respect, well, techincally you already had that... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast