What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. lowii

will my lowii finally lost all of it leave and there is just the 2 main growing point from it now. i'm just going to leave it in its pot for about a yrs or so to see if it will actual return from the dead.

That sounds like the good thing to do. Give it optimal conditions, with high humidty, and the perfect temps. Give it a cocentrated solution of superthrive, and it should survive. I hope that helps
smile.gif

George,

there is definitely something wrong with your plant. Nepenthes never should loose that amount of leafes in short time and it may only be very few time before also the growth points do die back. I am not able to judge what might be wrong from your description so it might be helpful if you could describethe conditions the plant is grown under. Did something change in these conditions in the past weeks - or is the plant new? Did you fertilize or repot it recently?

Joachim

ok the lowii was a brand new plant about 3 months old out of a supplier over seas not say who it is. the temp is 80 during the day and 55-60 at night. the humidity is 70-80% during the day and 90-95% at night. actually at first it was only getting 75 degress at night until i got the small refrig. to put them in. i covered it w/ a zip lock bag to keep the humidity in and i did get a reading of 95% at one time i tested it in the refrig. it seem it was doing just fine until i started placing it into the refrig. then after that the leaves started to turn black really slow. so 2 days ago i pulled all the leaves off of it w/ no problem at all. i didn't even have to take cutters to them. by looking at he main growing points it looks the same as it did the day i got it which was bare root. i don't see any mold or any diff. coloration with the stem.
the rajah is in the same condition and it is growing w/ no problem at all as you can see in one of the other posts i put up.
i have read in a couple of places that neps do come back after being dead for so long but it does take some time for the to do so. so i'm just keeping it in the same conditions as it is in and see what happens.

Sorry George.. sounds like it is dead to me. Particularly if the growing point is black also. You mention the leaves started turning black. Did they turn black from the center out to the tip or from the tip back? If the stem is still green then there is hope, otherwise not. There is always a certain amount of loss on plants that are shipped. Internationaly shipping the loses are higher. Sometimes a plant just doesn't establish and slowly dies... sometimes a plant gets infected with something that slowly kills it or in most cases quickly. It can be a few days before these problems become apparant or weeks or longer.
Tony

the stem has always been a brown color never green. the leaves started to turn black from the tip back. now that i think about it the tip of the stem was green on the very tip of it and now it is a brown color.
yes i know there is a loss on plants from overseas. even w/ them being in the mail for so long. that was part of the problem.
still just giving it a shot to see if it does come back but, i do think you are right that the plant is already dead and nothing will happen.

Yep certainly worth a try.. I hang on to plants that look like they are dead a while also. There might be a bit of stem down by the roots that is still alive.
Tony

Keep in mind though what might have caused the 'death' of the plant. Accidently cooking your plants when a vent fan doesn't click on (or freezing them briefly if a heater fails) is different than say a plant succumbing to a pathogen. Mikes experience to his situation does not surprise me in the least. While greenhouse temperatures got very hot and killed back any growth outside the pots. Temperatures within the pots was moderated by moisture content.. saving the submerged stem from taking as much damage.

Not to say George shouldn't keep his plant and see if something regrows. As I have had seedlings get some sort of crown disease and kill back only the visible portion of the plant to then later have shoots emerge from the potting mix.

Because of my limited space I am not inclined to keep pots of dead plants around for 8 months. BUT I do unpot anything I think is ready for the trash and see if the stem is dead under the soil also be for it goes to the compost pile.
Tony

Back