What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Somethings weird?

I have a Nep. ventricosa and plant is doing really good. But for the past month my pitchers have been really dyeing off. The plant will produce nice pitchers but then in a month they die off. Before the pitchers lasted about 3 months before dieing off. Is this normal as the pitcher plant gets older? Nothing really has change - the only thing that I can think of winter is here in MI and the heater is on more often causing drier air. You think that may be the problem?

Also the N. ventricosa is taking over my ten gallon tank how big do the plants get and will I have to get a new tank to support my growing Nep?

Thanks-a-Bunch,
travis

Drier air is usually the cause for pitchers dying prematurely. You mention the plant is in a tank though. Is there a lot of outside air going into the tank that it would make a noticeable difference now that winter is here and humidity is less in the house?

How big will it get? Probably can fill the 10gallon tank easily.

You might try taking a cutting and after rooting it, try adjusting it to grow on a windowsill.
Tony

Thanks Tony. I covered the top of the tank more in hopes that will keep in the humidity. I am not sure about doing cuttings yet if I do I will share the cuttings.

travis
smile.gif

Sorry to bring this post again up again
sad.gif
. But my Nep.ventricosa is not doing good
confused.gif
. I have zero ideas at the moment? Except the ones mentioned above. My pitchers are only lasting about 2 to 3 weeks and dieing. Should I move my tank to a different place where it is not as dry? The room that I have it in now gets a little bit dry (aka computer room). My living room is much more humid but the temp is colder about 5 degrees at the most 65 f. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Travis

you might want to get a humidifier for the tank to keep the air humid. the temp isn't the problem the dry air is.

Back