What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes ventricosa

G

Over the past couple of months, my N. ventricosa has been looking like crap, and I think there's something seriously wrong with it. The leaves are yellow, with many brown spots, and some are deformed, and there are no pitchers. I'm really worried about it now. What's wrong
sad.gif

Well, how are you growing it? Are the leaves dying at the bottom (old) or at the top?

My cultivation techniques are likely different than yours but here's how I grow my plants:

I keep plants 12" or less from artificial light sources (and at least 200 watts of flourescent lighting over each growing chamber)

I water once or twice per week with R/O water

I water the soil once or twice per month a 1/4 strength Urea Free orchid fertilizer high in nitrogen and trace elements like Iron, Magnesium, Calcium, etc. I also add extra trace elements by adding a few drops of a balanced aquarium plant fertilizer.

A lack of trace elements will cause discolored leaves and deformities in plants no matter what genus. Iron helps keep the leaves green, magnesium helps keep them non-deformed.

Non pitchering can indicate that either your light is too low in wattage/intensity or humidity is not right, or both! Temperature may also be an issue if it is either too warm or too cold it will be unhappy.

Add ontop of that Nepenthes ventricosa is a highly variable plant whith some being big robust growers and others pittiful sickly plants (which is what I have: N. ventricosa var. wasteoftimus)

Well it most likely isn't humidity, ventricosa is just like a khasiana.....really plastic plant, it'l grow in your house. LIght may be it. Should have very bright light IE: 2 flursent tubes or more. The spots sound like Rust spot. Control it with a fungicide such as Cleary's. I must argue with Josh though on the fertilizer.
smile.gif
I don't think it is absolutly 100% positivly nessacary to fertilze Nepenthes. Sure it is great to try to give them a tid bit amount of something but if you're not sure about it....use the plants way...bugs. Which I highly reccomend. But then again fertilizer diluted heavily will no doubt benifit the plant. But Ventricosa should NOT need anything excpet bugs and bright light, you must get rid of the rust spot fungus first though to ensure a good recovery.

Deformed leaves are typically caused by the lack of nutrients or mites. From your description, I'd be inclined to think about mites, although some are too small to see. Is it the new leaves that are deformed?

The leaves it's been producing the last couple of months are that way.  All the other leaves are still green, and few dead ones.  The humidity is right (50-65%) and it should be ok as far as light goes.  It is to one side of four daylight tubes which give out over 2000 lumens each, and they're at a distance of 16" from the pot's top and 8" from the growing point.  I was thinking that it may have been caused by root damage from some grass that I let grow very large, in new zealand sphagnum moss.  The roots went through the holes in the pot's bottom, and probably damaged the ventricosa's roots.  The other two ventricosas in the same pot are not as bad, but don't grow that well because they are shaded by the larger one.  So what do you think? And, I don't fertilize it.

nethaniel, ventricosa will refuse to pitcher if it doesn't get cold at night. for the yellowing i would say itisn't gettin enought light but i would also check for mites and stuff to make shure

Well the grass didn't help it any. Do ever let grass grow in pots esecially! Crowded roots equal hurting plant.

George, beg to differ! Ventricosa is not highland or lowland it's just an all around nep!
smile.gif

N.G., that is just what i have read i don't hae that nep yet but, give me time

I pulled the grass out a couple of weeks ago. Temps are 65-68 at night and 71-80 during the day. How do I check for mites.

On my radar, that's about 95% mites. When and if you spray, spray everything

Best
Tim

How do I diagnose the problem? What type of pest control should I use? Thanks.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tim @ Dec. 08 2002,10:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">On my radar, that's about 95% mites. When and if you spray, spray everything

Best
Tim[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
You have had a lot of mites haven't you, lol!

Mites are sort of a pain because a lot of them hide. If you don't have good vision, get a good magnifying glass out and look at the undersides of the leaves at night with it and a flashlight, mites are fast so they are hard to ketch in the act. It could also be a root infestation of some thing so if you don't see mites consitter that. Their may also be a fungi or insect to blame. I guess if I where you, I'd put a butterwart or sundew next to it and see if they ketch an creapy crawlies you missed finding. If they don't ketch anything, but start to get ill, you probubly have a fungus, if they don't ketch anything but seen just fine, your plant is probubly ticked about it's growing conditions
smile.gif
Hope thats helpfull.

-Darcie

P.S. I don't know if Neps can handle soapy water, but if they can, a good dousing with some can usually get rid of most parasites.

The insecticidal soaps have a certain number of carbon atoms in their molecules which can kill many insects, IIRC 17 or 18. Some of the mites you can't see, and soap wont get many either.

And yes, I've had a lot of mites. And I hate them. Commercial ag has put the bread on my table for years, and I doubt that anyone else here with my experience is particularly fond of them. Fungus doesn't usually deform new leaves. That comes from micronutrient defeciencies like zinc, and mites, especially the kind that hide in growing tips and don't venture out to play with pings and so forth.

BTW a fungicide would help, as well as an aracacide, because anything weakening a plant will let fungus spores in. They constantly hang around floating like microscopic happy faces waiting for opportunities.

I was reading about N. Ventricosa, (im going to get one soon!!!
tounge.gif
) and i found an article that stated alot of highland neps can easily get root mites (or was it worms?). Anyway the way to kill them is to uproot your nep, look to see if in fact there are any, and if there are, soak it in a fungicide. I can't remember where I read that or what kind of fungicide to use, but I thought I may be of some help,
Best Regards,
Kevin

If your problem is mites, you "might" try using Orthene. Follow the directions. Good luck.

Kim

Thanks. I guess I'll unpot it then check the whole plant to figure out just what the problem is. And, I'll probably spray for mites anyway.

Back