What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.truncata highland

Hi everyone,

It has recently come to my knowledge that there is a highland form of the popular N.truncata. Does anyone grow this plant? I would like to find out if it relatively easy to grow.
Also I have a question concerning the lowland form of N.truncata. I have heard that this plant tolerates intermediate conditions, but will this plant grow well if it is kept under these conditions year-round? Thanks for sharing any info.

cp2k,

i have 2 N.truncata lowland one very small and one very huge. the small 5cm grows really slow as most neps do when they are that small. the larger one i kept it outside here in Fl. as long as i could until the weather got to cold (30-35 degrees) as i have noticed that with the colder weather it tolerated it very well but, slowed down in growth also. so right now i have it under a grow light right along with the rest of te plants i have.

ok now for your question about N.truncata highland. this plant has just recenty come out of t.c. and in some places being observed to how it will grow what color forms will come out of it ect. as far as i know it isn't being sold to the public just yet. maybe some of the other members can enlighten everyone when it is due out.

rampuppy, now don't you start to drool now j/k

edit: i stand corrected it is out for sale to the public.

It little known so far about this form, except well of course it is a highlander!
smile.gif
I know let's see 2-3 people/companies who have the plant currently in culitvation. The lowland form will tolerate intermediate conditions just fine, although I wouldn't let the temps at night go below 60F for optimum growth and pitcher productivity.

CP2K,

I am growing both forms, lowland and highland, and the highland has so far proven to be just as easy as the lowland form. It grows well and pitchers well under mild highland conditions. I have lowlanders under both true lowland conditions and under intermediate conditions and have noticed no difference in their growth.

Cheers,
Pete

Pete, could the highland form with stand intermidiate cond. also, is it certain death if put into lowland cond. or hasn't that been tried yet?

George,

I haven't attempted to grow the highland in any other conditions yet but my mild highland condition is too far off intermediate, 70's day and 60's night. Once I feel more comfortable with them I will try the in the same intermediate conditions as the lowlander and let you know.

cheers

Pete, thanks for the info. yes, that would be nice to know if it could with stand lowland cond. but, also very costly to find out with a single plant

Hi,

from what I did hear from other growers and my very limited experience with this plant, I do think the highland N. truncata is just as easy to grow as its lowland relatives. Leafes of my red form do start with a nice red colouration turning to a deep green after some time, similar to N. clipeata leafes.

N_truncata_0103_small.jpg

Joachim

Nice photo Joachim. You can see how hairy this plant is.

Do you happen to know the origin of your plant, was it Mt. Apo near Davao City, or one of the more remote mountain ranges of Mindanao? The ones from Apo seem to be less colorful than some, but the leaves do color up red, as you say, much like N. clipeata.

Hi Rob,

I'm sorry, but I have no idea where this plant originates from. As soon as I'll find it out I'll post it.

Joachim

Back