What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N x wrigleyana

schloaty

Staff member
Hi everyone,
Can someone tell me the parrentage of nX Wrigleyana? I did a google search, but all I found were a few pics, dead links (or, more likely, they're blocked by my work server), and Sarrecenia info.....

I think it's mirabilis x (rafflesiana x ampullaria).

Cool. It's must be very similar to x Coccinea (from the couple of pics I saw, the pitchers did strike me as similar). In that case I will have NO TROUBLE with this whatsoever. My X Coccinea is my best grower....

schloaty, the pitchers don't look nothing like what you stated. they are long and skinny

O lets see..

N. x wrigleyana is technically N. mirabilis x (N. rafflesiana x N. ampullaria)

N. x coccinea is (N. rafflesiana x N. ampullaria) x N. mirabilis

They should look very similiar, however I am sure that with the large variation in N. rafflesiana and N. mirabilis there is a good possibility they could look very different also.
Tony

O YES LETS SEE, the left is N. x wrigleyana, the right is N. x coccinea. i wonder if there is a diff?
Evmp0140.jpg

Did I say they couldn't look different? I will reiterate. With so many varieties of N. rafflesiana and N. mirabilis it is very easy to make them look different based on the parents used. You could just as easily make a tall skinny N. x coccinea and a short squat N. x wrigleyana

yes anyone could make them look that way but, then they wouldn't be named that. it would be totally a diff. named species of a hybrid. for an exsample N. amp x (N.raff. x N.mir.) would look diff but couldn't take the name of (N.cocc.)

anyways i just put the picture up so schloaty could see the diff. in the two plants.

I think we are not understanding each other 100% here. I was not refering to order of the parents used. I was refering to the variety of the parents used. There are plenty of tall thin N. rafflesiana as there are short squat N. mirabilis. You could make N. coccinea for example come out any number of ways just by using different forms of each parent. Tall thin squat wide red speckled green.. you name it.
Tony

i get what you are saying now. your talking about using diff forms of the plant. yes, there are plenty of diff kinds of N.rafflesiana and N.mirabilis

Tony,

I thought N. coccinea was a particular clone using those parents back from Victorian days, and there are several other clones with different names using the same combination, but looking slightly different.
Now after saying that, how can there be TC plants of N. coccinea, unless someone cloned them from meristem?

Regards,

Joe

I see what your saying Joe. It is my understanding (which is at times minimal) that the victorian hybrids were named according to cross name. Much like a registered orchid hybrid or a natural hybrid. If you look at the registered names at the ICPS data bank you wont find N. x coccinea or any of the other hybrids N. x (). So in essense you can have different 'clones' of these particular hybrids floating around.

On the other hand it is possible to give a registered name to one of these hybrids. But then it would be called something else entirely. For example N. kashiwa is N. ampullaria x N. rafflesiana = N. x hookeriana

Personally why they don't use the grex clone naming system is beyond me.. it avoids so much confusion and maintains so much information within the name. For example N. x hookeriana 'kashiwa' .... ok I am going off on a tangent..

Tony

Tony,

I don't think that was a tangent. It was a very useful piece and it made some sense.
I heard in Australia, they recreated N. dicksoniana. I was talking to somebody about it, and they told me that you can't recreate it: you can make the cross and call it something else. I can't remember who it was I was corresponding with, so I don't want to throw names out there. Somebody should put this topic on their "to-do" list, so people would know what N. coccinea clone they have or if it can be called that. I think the TC ones come from Holland.

Regards,

Joe

Wow. Now my curiosity is REALLY piqued! How can I tell What...er...type of Coccinea that I have? Just based on visual cues? Or do I need to delve deeper, track down the VERY nice person who trade me the cutting, and find out where they got it, then track them down, etc?
I love this hybrid. I really want to know more about it. It's growing so big, so fast and so well.
biggrin.gif

heck maybe when they both flower (I won the Wrigly from Ludwig...THANKS LUDWIG!!&#33
wink.gif
, I'll cross THEM. Then we'll have:
(N. rafflesiana x N. ampullaria) x N. mirabilis)
X
(N. mirabilis x (N. rafflesiana x N. ampullaria))

(or the reverse, depending). Of course I'm assuming that I'll have one of each sex...We'll see.

Think I'll call it the NxSchloaty
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Back