What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truncata pest?

My truncata leaves have an odd bumpy surface when viewing from above, and from below it looks like it's been poked! Does anyone know if this is a pest/mold?

bumpy.jpg

From top

bumpy2.jpg

From below

mad.gif

I have a the problem in which the leaves of most of my neps will produce little pimple like things on the bottom of the leaves. I once heard ths was caused by temp or humidity.

The bottom of the leaves nectar glands are there. I have the same problme with my Truncata, it will make about 5 of those bumps on it's leaves, but don't worry. It is no pest just a growth formation. Tony, care to have a say too? You've got lots of Trucnata and if I remeber correctly I think you said it was a growth problem. Right?

What do you mean growth problem NG? I think most have them. Sometimes they turn red and other times they ooze a little nectar.

Those raised bumps should correspond to the nectar glands on the undersides of the leaves. Most Nepenthes have them although they are more pronounced on truncata. You will also find them on the tendrils and scattered on the outsides of the pitchers. The glands are usually tan to black color and in decent humidity they will have a drop of nectar oozing.
If it were a pest or disease the top of the leaf would show a funny discoloration as well.
Tony

I didn't take any pics of truncata.. but here is clipeata which has alot of those glands also.
Top leaf
cliptop.jpg

bottom of the same leaf
clipunder.jpg

Cool, thank's everyone! Now, back to licking things, anyone ever try this nectar stuff?
tounge.gif

It sweet and sugary. Tried some on a pitcher.

Back