What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New n. ampullaria colorations

I've wanted to show these off for a while.  These new color forms of Nepenthes ampullaria have been isolated from may tens of thousands of seed grown plants.  If you like N. ampullaria as a species, you would probably find them interesting.  I like them quite a lot
biggrin.gif
 and thought it was time to share them with you  
smile.gif

This is N. ampullaria which is sort of a maroon color with no green at all. (I would like to call it "superba")...

CR-1_superba_pitcher.jpg

...and this one I'd like to call "tricolor" which is a coloration I've never seen in the wild, so I was thrilled when it popped up out of the seedlings...

CR_tricolor_pitcher-1.jpg

this l trio is (from left to right) is a particularly red form of N. ampullaria Cantley's red, N. ampullaria "tricolor" and N. ampullaria "superba"...

CR_trio.jpg

Hope you like them.  It's the first time I've showed these pictures to anyone, including on my website.

Rob

Absolutely stunning! I can imagine how even more striking they are in person. Thanks for showing them Rob.
Tony

wooo....it`s time to die.....
great pics!!!

Wow. Must have all N. Ampullaria variations.

Rob, very nice coloration w/ them. the tricolor kind of looks like a spotted but, w/ the red pitcher. thanks for sharing them w/ everyone

Very nice colorations Rob. Keep up the great work.

Kim

Wow! This will certainly make a big headliner! Keep em growin!
smile.gif

Joel will be really glad to read this... Hes an amp enthusiast! Hehe...

I really like the tricolor, looks almostman made...Very Pretty indeed!

Are those cultivars that you made?

Yeah.... I'm an amp enthusiast..... I just wish that the rarer ampullaria varieties were easier to find.
sad.gif

Rob, those are magnificent plants you have there. It must have taken a long time to comb through all of those seedlings and find these jewels. I do hope that you manage to send these plants out in the next few years, they would really be a centerpiece of any collection. You must be very proud.
smile.gif

Jœl

To answer your question Nathaniel, they aren't really cultivars that I made.  What I did was sow large numbers of seeds that were harvested from a normal speckled N. ampullaria.  (We have done this with quite a few other species too).  Some of the seeds are sown in sterile culture but the vast bulk of them are sown in trays in a ramshackle old lowland nursery (the first we built here in '97):

ramshackle_nursery.jpg

The seeds germinate and compete with each other.  They get one shot of Osmacote fertilizer in their lives and then that's it.  I hardly ever go in there, once a month perhaps.  It's like wading through a jungle and sometimes some gems appear.  These gems are then taken away to a more organized nursery to begin a new life.

I guess I ought to register these particular N. ampullaria as cultivars with the ICPS though.

By the way, if anyone would like to come over and sort this nursery out they would be very welcome  
tounge.gif
 I have to say though that it's a bit "snakey".  The odd cobra and venomous viper have been known  
wow.gif

Rob,

Man oh man, that is cruel. Those of us who live in less than hospitable environments have to jump through hoops to get our plants to grow at all, much less well and you just sow some seeds and basically ignore them and get a building full of beautiful healthy looking plants.

Ok - I am not afraid of snakes, been bit alot, if I come wade through the greenhouse do I get to keep what I find?

And you should register your plants, just to make sure we all call them by the same name in the future.

Cheers,

I'm with pthiel. I'll come down when during my spring brake, or during the summer and work, for a payment of nepenthes seedlings
biggrin.gif
. You know I'm joking
smile.gif
. Wouldn't have room for them anyway
sad.gif

wow, what a g/h and full of Neps. i'm game to clean that place up and to get to keep some of them. i'll make room for them

Excellent colors! Available when...?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Hey Rob,

I don't much mind snakes and I have had my run ins with the poisonous guys here in the States so I'll be more than happy to come clean your shack out. Expect me on Tuesday night coming in on Air WishfulThinking, Flight 400. I'll light myself on fire at the bagage claim so you can find me
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Pyro, what time does that flight take off i don't want to be late.

Wow! The most gorgeous amps. i have seen so far, especially the tricolor. Oh yea, wanna send me a cobra
wink.gif
?

Rob,

Great pics. Great timing too, as I just lost my red pitcher-green peristome amp(it was at the house we are moving from and the plastic came off the tank) and then I see these, lol. At least my Cantley's is fine. Let us know when cuttings are available.
BTW, I LOVE SNAKES!!!

Regards,

Joe Griffin

semd me one! send me one!
tounge.gif
do you have an online store? if you do, please let me know. thanks.
smile.gif

Back