What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes hirsuta

I was thinking about growing one
confused.gif

aea3 I N. hirsuta and a few days ago I made 4 cuttings. It is a very interesting species considering the fact that it has brown bristles covering the WHOLE plant. One thing that you have to remember is that it hates strong light more than any Nepenthes I can think of, [I grow a many of the strong light hating species(N. hirsuta, N. bicalcarata, N. ampullaria, and N. rafflesiana)]. I grow mine in a 75 gallon terrarium and above the place where it is I have two layers of 50% shade cloth(I think, not sure really sure of the percentage). It is a very nice species and worth buying. I personally got mine when I ordered N. gracilis niagrapurpea from Cascade Carnivorous Plants and they were out. So as a substitute they gave me N. hirsuta. Good luck!

I have some to trade if you're interested. Oz

Longifolia hates light too, doesnt it?

N.Hirsuta is an very easy lowlander as long as you give it lots of shading and indirect light and heat and humidity. Typical lowlander so you shouldn't have too much trouble with it if you're going to grow it. Good luck!

Although I have nothing to trade gr8oz,would you sell one?let me go talk with my dad when he wakes up.

can anybody give me a pic of one

interesting...

describe strong light?

I am wondering if my illumination is to strong formy bical, and that is why it seems to lose leaves as fast as it can grow them?

Here is a pic of the spotted form. You can see some of the fuzz on the leaves and tendril too! N. hirsuta can get about 18" across with 7" pitchers. It needs good humidity to pitcher well.
Tony

NhirsutaSpottedCR2.jpg

Well RamPuppy lets start in the other direction, what kind of light source are you using. N. bicalcarata's leaves should last a good amount of time though not as long at a younger age. If all the other conditions appear to be right then the problem is likely with to be strong light. When I first got N. bicalcarata the leaves died very quicky untill I moved it under my shade choth with N. hirsuta and now its leaves have lasted a good bit longer. A good way to tell is if the leaves start to get brown patches in the middle of the leaf (not going brown from one end moving to the other which is natural) and then the whole leaf dies later. Burning is a problem with the species I mentioned above. Their is one other species I found that doesn't like strong light and that is N. macfarlanei. Oh Rampuppy, my desciption of strong light is if all your other Neps love it(grows fast and sturdily with good colouration) and the species I mention hate it then it is strong light. Lots of Luck.

Back