Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: N. clipeata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Christian for the additional information. It is great that folks such as yourself and Andreas with first hand information are able to share it so that we may all have a better understanding what might have happened. As you suggest it is also quite possible that an insect helped to mix up pollen once it was on the plant or if there had been one of the hybrids in flower at the same time. One thing I have noticed is a light almost citrus fragrance coming from the male inflorescence in my greenhouse.

Do you have a picture of your N. clipeata x eymae?

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Joe that this really is a most interesting thread. Perhaps it's not to everyone's taste, and the fun and frivolrous threads have their place too. However, I do believe that this one is really unusually important. There are some people lurking out there, viewing this thread but not necessarily posting, who are earnestly involved with a project to try to help save N. clipeata from total extinction - not from the wild, that is pretty much inevitable - but from the planet as a whole. The number of views that this thread has received says a lot for people's interest and concern, which is very encouraging. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

It would be more fun for me if I had a N. clipeata [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry Nathaniel, seems I don't really have it either! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

many thanks to Andreas and Christian for joining this thread and sharing their thoughts. Also Johannes Marabini and Thomas Rimsl did reply to my request by email and phone. Both did see N. clipeata in habit and are sure that Tony's plant is not a pure N. clipeata. Johannes did second that the hyprid Andreas mentions (N. clipeata x N. eymai) was used for sure to pollinate the female N. clipeata.

The main reason for the confusion surrounding the plants from the Munich botanical garden is, that the person who did pollinate the female flower with different male pollen and the person who did harvest the seed were not identical. The flower was only labeled with different coloured thread and not with plant names - so wrong labeled seed was distributed as pure N. clipeata...

Thomas was propably one of the last Nepentophiles to see N. clipeata in habit. In 1993 he discovered a new location for N. clipeata on Mt. Kelam about 1100m asl. These plants did grow about 1 km away from the originally described type location. They did grow in deep grasses in patches of Sphagnum. Those plants seemed to be softer and the pitchers were even more constricted in the middle than most other known N. clipeata. He did write a short article including two pictures of these plants in "Das Taublatt" Vol. 24 1994/2.

Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony
    unfortunatly I have no picture of this plant(N.clipeata x emey)
    because it has no pitchers at this time .I took some cuttings of it 2 months ago.
    It is easily to distinguish from the "real" ones ,because it is intermediate between the parents ,only sometimes showing roundish leafs and beeing red flushed over the leafs all the time.The upper pitches are much more like these of N.emey.
    It is an easy grower and a good climber (N.clipeata never climbs)
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

before answering to this most interesting topic I decided to make some pics. This takes a bit of time because I still prefer the old method of slides. And it takes a while to load them up.
    This is a pic of a male, wild collected plant which shows some details of the pitcher. Pics of hybrids I grow will follow as soon as I have scanned them.

Regards

Stefan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bump for those that may have missed this great discussion!
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234