What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first try at  neps

My_Neps.jpg

I knew nothing about neps when i got these two...... They are not as healthy as some of the ones i have seen here in this section of the board ... if you guys have any info on how to get them to grow better and when winter comes here in Philly Im going to have to window sill them in the house... Want suggestions!!!!!!!!!

Jim

What u got there is a N. Ventricosa. I'm not quite sure about the second Nepenthes. Umm...just provide them with high humidity and lots of light and they should perk up in not time.
biggrin.gif

Jim,

Your N. ventricosa looks fine! The other one is a little hurting, but very salvageable. How long have you had them? This time of year in Philly, the weather is just about right for them: about 70 at night and 80s during the day. But you'll have to move them in as it gets colder in the fall. You should just be able to water them, and provided they get partial sun, they should do fine. Size-wise, they don't look like they need to be repotted any time soon, but you might want to check the soil medium to see if it's appropriate.

Capslock

the other looks like a gracilis

N. x Ventrata on the close one. Can't tell on the other one. Wild guess is N. sanguinea

The N. x Ventrata will do fine in some partial sun. Keep it moist but not sopping wet. It will do ok on a windowsill through the winter. It may stop producing pitchers .. or it may not. Depending on what kind of heating you have etc. Try and get it into a sunny window during the winter. Away from drafts and heating vents etc.

Tony

I'm with Tony on the ID's...if you can get a better pic of the farther one, that will help us out. If we're right, there two should be fairly easy growers. I have both of mine out on the deck in diffused sun (by trees). They're both doing quite well.
Good luck! Those are really good first time neps.

OK, now I need some education. I have a N. ventricosa at home that looks exactly like the one pictured. What clues are there to tell a ventricosa from a ventrata? I also have what is labeled an N. ventricosa x ??. This also looks suspiciously like a N. ventricosa. How does one tell?

Capslock

i'm going to take a wild guess on the first one and say that its either judith finn , sanguinea , or coccinea , does look very ood shape either , the second one i would deffinlty say ventricosa , mines at home looks alot the same as the one you pictured .

First thing I do is try and determine size of the plant.  Is it making juvenile pitchers, lower, or something else.

These plants appear large enough to determine they are not making juvenile pitchers.  But I feel it is not making full sized adult pitchers either.  Probably because of the less than ideal care it received at the store.

Specific characteristics of N. alata.
Leaves usually come off the stem in an upward angle.  Mid point of the leaf fairly broad and tapering to a sharp point.  There is a clear petiole.  Pitchers are bulbous at the base with a slight constriction above that and expanding slightly around the peristome.  The peristome has no folded points and is at a noticeable angle from front to back.  The lid is large enough to cover the pitcher opening.  There is a very distinct internode.

N. ventricosa
Leaves usually are flat off the stem.  The leaf blade projects all the way from the stem (no petiole visible) and the leaf is only slightly wider at the tip.  Pitchers are bulbous at the base with a constriction and then broadening noticeably around the peristome.  The peristome has folded points in it and is nearly horizontal. The lid is not large enough to cover the pitcher opening.  Internodes are very short.

What do I see in this picture?
IE why do I think it is not N. ventricosa
Noticeable internodes longer than N. ventricosa. Leaves coming off the stem at a slight angle and noticeably broader in the middle than than the base, with a narrowing at the tip to a sharp point. Large lid that fits the pitcher opening.  Peristome at a noticable angle front to back. Pitcher not expanding much above the constriction.

Why do I think it is not N. alata
Leaf margin extends all the way to the stem.  Internodes fairly short.  Angle of the peristome is not oblique enough.

Why do I think it is N. x Ventrata
Leaf margin extends from the stem outward but the middle of the leaf is much broader with the outer portion narrowing to a sharp point.  Internodes noticeable and larger than N. ventricosa but not nearly that of N. alata.  Leaves projecting from the stem at a slight angle upward.  Peristome at an angle more than N. ventricosa but less than N. alata.

Below is a picture of a typical N. alata (You can barely see the tip of the leaf to the top and left of the pitcher and to the top and right the petiole and stem from a basal shoot)
Nalata_AEPCR.jpg

Picture of a red N. ventricosa on the young side still.  (I chose this one since the plant in question is not fully mature either)
NventriRedEPAustCR.jpg

Photo of a mature N. xVentrata
NxVentrata2.jpg

For years and years N. xVentrata has been improperly labelled and sold.  The subsequent confusion is not surprising.  Sometimes the differences are subtle.  The N. xVentrata you see in the picture, I received only a couple years ago from another commercial grower.  I had ordered a red N. alata.  
Tony

Hi Tony

I was looking into what you said and Yep your right! The other one is a sanguinea.. I was at a place called tilleys yesterday in Pa and they sold Neps and sarrs.. they had each of these plants with 4 to 6 inch traps on them and looked like mine that i saved from lowes..they also had a batcarta something ( forgive me for spelling and not knowing... It has rings around the lip of the pitcher and a small leafe extending over green with little bits of color .... traps about 5 inchs long and only 7 bucks!!! they said they might get ones that look like bird baths and get a few others because they sell quite a lot of them and the sarrs. they also had the white pitcher and yellow pitchers and parrot pitchers and purple pitchers and Okkiefonkie Giant Minor.. God Forgive me for this bad spelling Im down the shore and have access.. anywhos... They import them from Ga someone who grows orcids and Neps...

I want to thank All of you who are helpping me with Growing these plants.. I love these they are quite neat and so darn intresting..... THANKS AGAIN
JIM

Back