Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are the ovata and bongso pics..
    T
    bongso seedling

ovata seedling
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony

Bongso and ovata are fairly similar in lots of peoples opion and one of the biggest challenges for Charles when doing his Sumatra book was trying to sort out the mish mash that make up so many of the species from central Sumatra.
    Singalana itself displays massive variation and in fact the singalana that is found on the summit of singalang is the most "standard" (read boring) of any of the many many variations. It is almost like a large gracilis, whereas something grows on the mountain with aristolochiodes that didn't look at all like singalana but Charles keyed it out and decided that that is what it was. In the Sumatra book have a look at species B, page 211. We found that on the same mountain that we found jacquelineae but it took a long time before Charles was willing to accept it wasn't singalana.

The gymnamphora and pectinata thing presents the same situation once again.

Just finally, we found a plant on a volcano miles from anywhere that could only have been a massive form of tobaica yet was far too large and wasn't anywhere that tobaica shoulld have been, and again in a swamp in Jambi another tobaica like plant. That means that tobaica is found around lake Toba, then nothing for 700km and there it is again (or something similar).

The point is there are quite a few plants floating around in the middle of Sumatra that have either evolved from each other or a common ancestor, or have crossed and re crossed to the point that there are sustainable populations of all sorts of intermediate species all over the place.

Pretty confusing!

Cheers, Troy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Neps...Welcome to the forums. I love pictures, thanks for sharing fatboy and Tony.
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice pics fatboy and tony. love those neps, when i went to jakarta a few summers ago, i didnt get the chance to go nep seraching (like i will find one there lol). Hmm..the only thing it seems i did there was catch lizards and learn how to say "burapa inny" (How much? in Indonesian)
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    more pictures fatboy! I am drooling!
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12