What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holland hybrid

I have one Nep. a plant I got three years ago and it was called a Holland hybrid. I was wondering, is this a generic term or an actual hybrid? The lower pitchers look like a red spotted alata, but the upper pitchers have a large parastome like veitchii or spathulata. Any Ideas? thanks in advance. Jack

There seem to be two theories on the Holland Hybrid. There's a plant that's been generally marketed for years as the Holland Hybrid, but it was one of the mysterious hybrids of unknown parentage. It originated out of a tissue culture lab in Holland (of course&#33
wink.gif
and like a lot of the mass propogators, the nursery lost the tags and forgot the parentage. The nepenthes is a vigorous plant with beautiful pitchers, so they gave the plant the name Holland Hybrid and started selling it. It would be nice to assume that the same hybrid is still being cloned and marketed today, but the second theory is that this same nursery has lost the tags on a number of its plants and now sends everything out as Holland Hybrid. I hope not, but after seeing a number of plants with the tag, I am beginning to suspect that this is true. Some of these plants look nothing alike. Oz

Thanks Oz, disappointing but not unexpectent
smile.gif
. Mine is very vigerous and has nice pitchers. It's a three foot vine, lots of pitchers, two new basal shoots, and since I treat it like a house plant (with a little more spraying), that says alot for it. Jack

I think I have one of these that is definately from a Dutch supplier but was merely labelled as Nep hybrid. It sounds the same by description. It took a while to settle in but is now taking off and has produced two lower pitchers this season. The leaves are shorter and fatter than khalsiana or maxima which are the other two nep's I have.

Back