Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Planting nepenthes plants in the ground

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah that would be cool! if you had alot of land, call it kinibalu island. or "the island of hawaii kinibalu reserve" plant a bunch of ventrincosa and BAM! Nepenthes in North America.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    but what if there was a drought? you would have to water all of the neps in your yard. (it would take a long time [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] and water) but it would be cool to leave it for like 10 years and come back to a yard of millions of nep! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] and what if there was a slight rare frost? (not just in hawaii) they would just all die... or would they? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of my friends have put them on trees strapping them like orchids. The neps do fine. Others have just planted them in the lava cinders in damper rain forest areas. The plants are doing great. Eventually, there will be many places to see nepenthes over here in the wild. It does not freeze here on this island unless you get about 7000 ft on Mauna Kea or Mauna Loa. Below that you have great areas for highland neps and great areas for lowland/intermediate neps. Drought is normally not a problem as we have over 125 inches of rain a year here on the east side. Enjoy.

Kim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Kim, Howzit?
    Sounds like you are on the Big Island...I was just there on my honeymoon....let me say this.....I am REALLY jealous of people who live there....Are you near Hilo? Man, I wanna live in near Hilo... I could deal with the Kona coast to..

Man, I wanna go back.....
    New York sucks in the winter... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Hang loose!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live about a half hour southwest of Hilo.

Kim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kim, with the higher elevation spots in your area does the night time temps drop at night and to what degrees?
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where I live at present, we are only about 50 ft or so above sea level. Summer lows and highs are usually 68-70 F for low and 83-84 F for high. Winter is usually 60-62 lows and 80-81 highs. Some highland neps I keep at friends living at 3000 ft where winter lows and highs are more like 52-54 lows and highs 72-74 and about 3 degrees warmer each end during summer. I have another friend growing some up near the volcano where lows can be in the mid to upper forties in winter and daytime temps 68-72. I am quite surprised that a number of highlands such as N. burbidgea, N. lavicola, and N. lowii do just fine where I am.

Kim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kim, that is really remarkable that the plants do grow just fine there. the enviroment in the areas there do meet the requirements for the plants also. with the Highlands that you mentioned it sounds like they adapted to be grown at 50' above sea level. i do belive if a highland plant is slowly brought into a lowland enviroment such as yours it will adapt to it. you do have a drop in temp at night but not as cold as it would be by the volcano or at 3000'.
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George,

I am also growing N. spathulata, N. spectabilis, N. stenophylla and several other "highlands" with no problem here at 50 ft. I was quite surprised that all of our Sarracenia do quite well here. I thought for sure they would all go down with the lack of cold winter temps, but so far (four years) they seem to do just fine. S. alata, flava, and leucophyllas seem to grow to full size with no problem. They are going dormant now and will probably be back out in January. I doubt they will even see one night below fifty five to fifty seven degrees.

Kim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast