Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planting nepenthes plants in the ground

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hello everyone.

Just asking for advice on this... I know that most people will say that you can't plant these plant in the ground, but I want to experiment a little with this. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] I was thinking about using maybe a N rafflesiana or a N gracilis, since they seem to be the most tolerant of all Neps. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks

Jœl
    http://homepage.mac.com/mindmaze128/...lood forum.jpg
    Joel Martínez
    San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Troy or Rob would probably be the best people to talk too as they both live in lowland climate as well.

I would imagine that you could find an area that doesn't collect water and dig out a section. Fill it back in with a suitable Nepenthes type soil .. maybe something like peat, bark, lava rock.. I deffinately would use some inorganic ingredients to keep it loose and airy...

Alternatively you could use a big buried tub with a few holes punched in it near the bottom so it doesn't hold too much water. Then you wouldn't have to worry quite so much about surrounding soil sucking your Nepenthes dry or some other unforseen difficulty.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mindmaze, i do recall seeing a picture some where of a N. Raff. growing in beach sand. also you could try digging a hole filling it w/ a mix and planting it in that. that sounds like a good exsperament to do. let us know how it turns out.
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nooooooooooo! not beach sand! it has way way way way way,ect. too much salt in it, and it will kill your nep.! hey, I see rain out the window! rain! it hasn't rained for about 7 months here. I'm outta here. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spec73, well the plant wasn't right on the beach but it was suger sand. hey since it is raining there catch some and sent it to me i'm running out of rain water here. a gal. would be cool.
    George McKay

Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We plant Neps out in the ground sometimes. One of our sites has very sandy soil which suits some Nepenthes just fine. The site where I live has clay, so as Tony guessed, we dug a trench and filled it with coco peat. The plants get watered by runoff from the nursery next to it. These are mostly N. mirabilis and are always in flower. Being next to the nursery means they get sun only in the afternoons. This is quite similar to Nepenthes that grow alongside bushes or on forest margins. Here's a rather poor photo that I just took:

Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have planted many neps right in the ground here in Hawaii. It is quite easy. Just pick a place with proper lighting, dig a small hole, make sure it has good drainage, put your nepenthes in, water it in and forget about it. They grow just great. Many of the plants I have sold are growing up trees in people's yards here in Hawaii. We will soon be a great place to come see nepenthes growing in the wild without having to go to Malaysia, Philippines, etc.

Kim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kim, how are the people hanging them in the trees? potted,on a peace of wood, or right onto the tree i would like to try one that way
    George McKay

Florida

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast