Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So this is it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Voodoolizard!

I just got my utility bill today so I will see what my KwH rate is.

Did you have any hassles with the police when you started using MH? We've had some very low choppers here lately continually circling my condo with a red searchlight on their underside. Someone at work told me they were heat sensors. Even though I'm not doing anything illegal I'd preffer not having the cops knock my door down in the middle of winter (or any other time actually).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they knock then offer them a cup of coffee and a show and tell session on your plants. No big deal.

For the power cost be sure to use the power drain by the ballast not the bulb or multiply the bulb wattage by 1.2 for a good estimate.

joe
    Signature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heat sensors aremost likely not in use in MN. They are prohibitively expensive. Not to mention theyve been deemed unconstitutional specifically for that purpose.

It sounds to me like youve got a 175w 12k SunBurst MH.
    These lamps are extremely blue and have been very popular because they are cheap the problem is that you get what you pay for, Ive had many problems with these lamps over the years. Infact Ive got a pair of Ballasts running now thats states specifically not to use the SunBurst with them.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, I don't use MH, but have done my homework. So when I do get the money to get the lights I'll be ready.

As for cops knocking down doors. With number HID light use on the rise with orchid and aquarium hobbiest. I don't think the cops will come a knocking. And if they did, I have nothing to hide, they are more then welcome check out my plants. I'm not awear of any of them being illegal.

Anyway glad I could help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to agree that not all bulbs are created equal. I was running 2 150w 6500k MH bulbs on my reef tank. I got cheap replacements once and there was a major difference in light output even though they were rated exactly the same.

Not sure if this is the problem or not with Swords system but figured it was worth adding.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I swapped the 250W ballast out with the PFO ballast. I am presently waiting for the "250w" bulb to cool down so I can put in a 6500K 400W bulb. I tried to light the 250W with this ballast (as someone mentioned to do with the higher wattage ballast above) but the bulb did not fire. It had only been turned off for about 5 mins when I tried that, and I remembered after I tried to light it thatyou aren't supposed to do that with MH (off and on fast). So I unplugged the ballast and am gonna use the bulbs that were supplied for it as soon as this bulb cools, any idea how long that will be? The bulb & reflector are in a fan cooled hood that I built.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12