Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: N. coccinea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow my coccinea in the same conditions as hamata. I grow my pitchers plants under a patio umbrella and I mist them with water early in the morning and at dusk. It has been very humid this past week becuase of all the rain and I have noticed on the lip of the picthers is realy shiny and producing alot of necter. So much necter that it is driping down the pitcher.

My Coccineas are hanging 5 feet from the ground and they catch all there food naturaly. They usualy catch ants but they have also caught wasps, beetles, geckos and the regular Florida Lizzards.

The only time I had to fill the pitchers with water is when I first bought the 2 Coccineas. They were dry and it seemed that they were abused and needed some recovery time.

You probley have seen this pic many times but here it is again coccineasMy Coccineas

and here is the abused pictureAbused Picture

a pic of both of the plants under umbrellaunder umbrella pic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey Lauderdale, the 5-10 knot winds will increase tto 10-20

theres a tropical wave coming off africa and it hit us today, the beach was goin off, mad wind, even here at home, it goes off and on

BTW, where did you buy the coccinea? ive been looking for it online and havnt been able to find any,... even here in so florida ive looked around for nurserys and they only sell fly treaps and sundews, no neps [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

as for the feeding, i duno about you but i am geting TONS of friggin ants!!!! i acidentaly fliped over one of my gracilis pitchers thats about 1-2" big and holly crap, so many dead ants came spilling out, i was like OMG

its crazy, i dont see a single one, but they are all in the pitchers!!! i keep most of my neps in my porch thats screened and they get direct morning sun light for about 4-5 hrs, when it rains i put them outside, just keep ur eye on the windcus theres a tropical storm suposed to come, its already very windy

BTW, when it starts to grow do you think i could trad with you if you decide to trim it, i would like a coccinea very much
    Expression = Maneuverability x Coiffure squared

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Len,
    Lizzards? LIZZARDS? Are you serious? Holy moly! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont grow this plant like a N. hamta, because a N. hamata is a ultra highland, and a N. x coccinea is a ultra lowland. Water with Distilled water, if some pitchers dont have liquid in them put distilled water into the pitcher so it would be filled half way( do this to all the pitchers with no liquid in them). You can have direct sunlight until the afternoon sun, then have it 50/50 shade. Water everyday if you are keeping it outside. Do not seprate the plants.

Feed the plant 2 or 3 times a month with crickets that you can get at a local petstore. Make sure it is Humid, since you live in FL there should be no problem to keep it warm also.
    Cut any black leafs.

Have Fun growing this nep it is a fast grower just like a N. bical. Make sure not to keep it outside at night. It might get to cold or animals might attack it.

Humidity should be 84% and Temps 75-85*F.

PT2
    What is the Propability of the Propability?
    If someone is addictied to therapy how will you treat them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like frogs but this frog was getting way to close to the pitchers

I didn't want the frog to fall in the pitcher, so I moved it. If it fell in, I would of had to add it to my list of ants,wasp, beetles,and lizzards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the plant was not in full sun at the garden store, work up to full sun gradually over a period of days or you're likely to burn the leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent here in Boca Raton. If you are interested in large N. coccinea plants please e-mail me personally.
    Yep. Better bring 'em in off the patio guys. The tropical wave is on the way. Great opportunity to collect rainwater and give the RO system a break.
    We grow N. coccinea in bright, filtered light, but no direct sun. Remember, south Florida Nepenthephiles, our conditions are subtropical. Our summer sun is more intense than the rest of North America, and our humidity consistently higher. Great for lowland stuff!
    Watch out for winter, though. Those cold fronts punch through with significant wind chill factors, effectively lowering the leaf temperature, and along with the cold air comes lower humidity that will dry out Nep pitchers in a heartbeat.

Trent in Boca Raton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Congratulations on scoring with your very own X Coccinea Lauderdale! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] I'm a huge fan of coccineas myself and I think i could lend you some tips. My coccinea is under a green shed on my backyard and here in Puerto Rico we get alot and I mean ALOT of sun and heat. Soooo what I do is that I spray it water three times a day to keep humidity, they love that. Also, rays of sun doesn't seem to affect them very much , not like other plants I have, and she's very very sensitive towards sudden changes in the climate so keep your's safe if it snows over there. For me is very simple cuz we never have drastic weather changes [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] But that's just me jejeje Good Luck!

Sincerey,
    Erick

P.S. I would love to see yours! Can you post a pic of it? Thanx I'll try posting a pic of mine too.
    Mom says: "Its stupid to collect plants that all look alike! Get a new hobie!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast