Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New grenhouse hybrid?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one I've been calling "N. maxima X ? #2 "Yellow" perhaps this fits with your description (this pitcher is about 18 cm but I've grown them larger on this plant in the past):

a bit closer:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords, do you think there could be some truncata in that hybrid of yours? The lip has the characteristic shape. The lid too, and even the pitcher shape with those wings...I guess I can't see the leaves, though, so I could be totally off base... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not one of the plants from Holland, unless it's something new.
    I agree about the truncata influence. The leaf shape would be a dead giveaway.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, there are aspects of the pitchers on "yellow" that do kinda resemble truncata now that you mention it. However, the leaves themselves are wide, petiolate, with a rounded apex (but not abruptly truncated which is a charachteristic that seems to carry in most hybrids involving truncata) and a slightly peltate tendril insertion. Just like the "red" or "gentle" or "miranda" or whatever it may be. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Without pitchers both of these hybrid plants are virtually indistinguishable from each other in stem shape/diameter, leaf shape/type/color but grown in the same true lowland conditions side by side as they create pitchers it's clear they're different. The red one while creating bigger pitchers is the faster grower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another one of those maxima mystery hybrids! I don't recognize it as one of the mass produced garden center Nepenthes. I guess it will require a bit of detective work backtracking to its point of origin. You know, find out from the person/establishment you got it from to tell you where they got it...

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "yellow" is supposed to be maxima x bongso hybrid but the pitchers look nothing like the maxima x bongso photos I was shown of this clone when I was considering buying it. It was a pitcherless vine when I acquired it from Orchids Limited. At the time of my purchasea year or two ago, their catalog didn't have anything that looked like it could create pitchers like this.

If Khai were around anymore perhaps he might be able to shed some light on it as he used to work for OL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time you're there, ask to check out older catalogs, or talk to someone who may be able to help. I don't know how big or customer friendly O.L. is, but most orchid nurseries, including myself, are very anxious to please customers who bring repeat business.
    I don't see how its a bonso hybrid either. It's probably something they aquired a long time ago. How long has O.L. been into Nepenthes?

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes 'Gentle' is mass-produced by Deroose Plants, a tissue culture lab in Belgium. They import a lot of plants, mainly Bromeliads, but no doubt some Neps too, into the US. I agree with Bill, that the likely parents for this hybrid are N.fusca & N. maxima. N. 'Gentle' is not a legitimate, registered cultivar, but is a widely distributed, commercially propagated clone. They are very attractive, vigorous and easy to grow Neps.

Here are some pictures of one of my plants that I posted on PFT a couple of months ago.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast