What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuttings

I took cuttings from all growing points. Will they start to grow again from the growing points?
confused.gif

What exactly do you mean, Do you mean to say that you removed the top of the stem with 3 or 4 leaves?
If yes, then the plant will begin to grow from the next two or three leaves on the stem that is still planted, thus making a new growing point or two. Be aware that it will take a while before you have big leaves and pitchers again from those new nodes.
If you're asking about the cuttings you took growing from the original "growing point" then yes they should keep growing the same. I don't know if you did this, but my cuttings always do better when I cut leaves on them back to 1/2 or 1/4 of their former length this conserves water and allows the plant to direct it's energy to the growing point and rooting activity instead of keeping unproductive leaves hydrated and healthy.

hope this helps some.

Yes What I did is took cutting from 3 leafs and some from 4 leafs. I just wanted to know if I made cuttings from all 3of the growing points that it only has will they start to grow again from those growing points. Will they start to grow like Bamboo from the side like the top of the growing points will dry out and new growing points will grow from the sides?
confused.gif
wink.gif

The cuttings (if taken from the growing tip will continue to grow straight up and not from the side) but if you take a cutting from a cutting the next growing point will come from the side (is it will on the plants you took the cutting from. about .5 to 1 cm above where each leaf attaches to the stem is a dormant node which will take over if the main growing tip is decapitated.

Maybe this picture will be of some visual help. The plant was a cutting from a mature "N. Coccinea" (but it isn't really as I have a "true" coccinea and the pitchers are different). After a while I cut this cutting again and it produced two sturdy growing points (the original cutting stem is the reddish brown thing just above the pot).

N.Xmorg-802.jpg

Back