What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When i thought i'd seen them all !

Dear Colleagues:

Please look at what I had just found on the net:

izumeaelge.jpg

Beautiful, aren't they??

Gus

Where did you find this image? I'd like to see the site!
smile.gif

Comes from Exotica Plants in Queensland, Australia. Geoff and Andrea Mansell have one of the finest Nepenthes collections in the world and their hybrids are absolutely beautiful.

Trent

Their collection is PHENOMINAL. Some of their plants are outstanding in pitcher size and plant size!

N. izumeae reminds me of an N. boschiana form somewhat. With both the color and peristome shape.

Hi all:

Is anybody interested in this plant or not??

Gus

Sure! Got some for sale?
wink.gif

You can read about this plant in Charles Clarke's book Nepenthes of Sumatra and Peninsular Malaysia.  It is listed in the back as N. species B. It has been around for a bit and finally getting a formal name. yay!

Tony

It looks great, but I'm afraid it won't do well in my neck of the woods (south Florida) because of its a true highlander. Even swamp coolers can't lower the night temps enough to keep mid and upper montane species happy.
sad.gif

Trent

The emperor has no clothes!!!!

I'm a nepaholic, but a beginner one. To me, those pitchers look kinda dead. LOL!!!!

Having said that, I'd take one!
biggrin.gif

Capslock

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">To me, those pitchers look kinda dead.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I was going to say the same thing, it doesn't look that stunning to me.  

SF

I think I have seen this one in a friends collection (though I could be wrong, I think he said 'Sumatra B&#39
wink.gif
It has really long tendrils, like 3-5 feet!!
wow.gif

I hate to ask this, but with 3-5 foot tendrils, how big are the leaves? It would definitely be a hanging plant anyway wouldn't it!
tounge.gif

Sf

Dear Colleagues:

It is a bit frustrating here in Australia, where not too many Nep species are readily available like they are in the states. Thank God, there are people like the Mansells who has these!!. Don't worry Swords, i'll promise you i'll post a picture when i get my N. izumiae.

Gus

The leaves were not that big actually, maybe 12-18" The plant was hanging in a basket that was chin high to me (I'm 6' even) and there were pitchers resting on the floor of the greenhouse. I'll see about getting a picture next time I'm over there

Those are some sweet pitchers! I love it! I need a bigger tank to support my habbits!

Travis
biggrin.gif

Dear all:

With all my due respect to the Nepenthes growers (including myself), I would like to say that Nepenthes plants, in some cases, look very similar regardless of the species. Sometimes it is very monotonous to see a green pitcher with burgundy spots such as Fusca, Maxima, and others.

With the exception of Rajah, villosa, jacquelinae, lowii, muluensis, ovata, bicalcarata, ramispina, albomarginata, and couple of others, pitchers tend to look very similar!!. tobaica and reinwardtiana. etc.

So when you see a dark purple or black pitcher (it is something worthwhile to take your hat off and admire!!

Gus

Dear all:

I have just been informed by the Mansells that the Picture I posted in this website, according to other Nep experts, besides Charles Clarke, is not believed to be N. Izumieae. The question is who is doubting Charles's knowledge. I'll keep you posted if i can gather more information.

Gus

Hello,
Well, even if its not N. Izumieae, it sure is wicked cool!
Kevin

Hi guys

Charles is standing next to me and says that you cannot tell from whether the species above is IZUMIAE (spell it right&#33
wink.gif
or not from that pic. Izumiae has a large hook under the lid, comes in black, dark green and any colour in between and has pretty normal length tendrils, nothing particularly long. The pitchers grow to be about 30cm tall.

Cheers, Troy.

Back