Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes on my windowsill?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Hello everybody,

Does anybody have some Neps growing on there windowsill I find the plants really beautifull, and I would love one, but I don't have a greenhouse or someting..... So, I was wondering would I be able to grow somekind of Nepenthes on my windowsill?

Here some data from my windowsill:

Normal temprature: C 21 / F 69-70
    Warm (when hit by sun or in summer) C 25-30 / F 77 - 86
    low (when its dark) C 14 / F 57

Air circurculation: most of the time, when its not to cold outside, my window is a little bit open.

Humidity: Never gets below 60% usualy around 70-80%

Light: my windows gets full sun from sunrise till +- 13.00AM, if the sun shines that is. If it doesn't shine, it will be bright shade/indirect light all of the day.

When its winter, it might be a little bit colder. but not too mutch. I sleep & live there remember.

I hope you guys can help me with this one!

Greetings & Happy growing,

WildFire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like a highlander would do well. I personally have no experience with them, so I can't give you much more help. I think the temperatures might be a little low to get the true lowlanders to do well. On second thought, if you could keep them in some kind of clear container that would bring up the humidity and temp, they might do OK. Was that as confusing as I think it was?

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey WildFire,

I used to grow ventricosa and khasiana on a windowsill but now they are too big so they go out on the deck during summer and come in for winter and sit in my living room. I'd recommend either of these for your purpose [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

I have N. Ventricosa growing on my window sill as we speak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have grown a number of Nepenthes in the Northeast where conditions sound similar.

Yes it can be done but consider also.

You need to select plants which will deal with the conditions.

Heating and A/C devices will lower humidity to a point where the plants won't pitcher well, even the more tolerant plants. This was a problem during the Winter for me. I don't have A/C so no problem there during the rest of the year. Ultrasonic humidifier near the plants might help if needed.

Condition your plants slowly. Most likely they will have come from a nursery where humidity is kept fairly high.

Potential plants from my experience growing on both an East and West window.
    N. truncata
    N. xVentrata
    N. maxima
    N. ventricosa
    N. khasiana

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with everyone. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] I grow ventricosa and truncata hybrids and such outside or on a window if my cat's wouldn't eat them. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] The hybrids seem to do really well.

Growing out on my deck are:
    ventricosa
    alata
    ventrata
    macfarlaeni x ventricosa
    truncata x ventricosa
    x emmarene

The alata's putting up some nice little pitchers, and the other hybrids are doing rather nicely. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hello everybody,

Thanx! this is realy usefull! I guess all I have to do now, is find a place where I can buy them....
    Anyway, in short, its like this:

My windowsill is useable for highlanders
    Heating drops humidity, Ultrasonic humidifier near the plants might help. Be sure your cat doesn't eat them. Condition your plants slowly,because of the high humidity level problem. You need to select plants which will deal with the conditions. becarefull they don't get to big.

Recomeded plants: ventricosa, khasiana, Ventrata (recomeded/named by several persons)

Btw here some more questions that came up when I was typing this:
    1. Did I forget anything? 2. Do I grow it in an hanging basket, or on a elevation, like an upsidedown pot? 3. Is it posible to prune them, if they get to big? 4. which of the above is most easy to grow?

Thanx for answering!!

Greetings & happy growing,

WildFire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello wildfire,
    I think that any of those are really easy, great plants for windowsill. Hanging basket or platform is really a personal preference, I'd say hanging because it can look pretty cool with the pitchers hanging everywhere. Sure you can trim a few leaves off when it gets too big, and use them for cuttings, and this also encourages bushy growth. GOOD LUCK!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/alien.gif[/img]
    I am back..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast