What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum Peat Moss

I was wondering if N. ventricosa could survive in pure Sphagnum Peat Moss? If not I will have to transplant the plant that I have now. Also, is there any good web site that I can order Pure Sphagnum Moss (I do not need a lot 1 or 2 lbs.) because I am unable to find any around here?

Trav

i have my ventircosa is a mix of peat/perlite/orhid bark and its doing great. i also have grown one in plain peat and perlite..all are thriving. i can hook you up with some peat. message me.

Travis, Not many CP can grow in pure peat, especially Nepenthes. 50/50 peat & perlite is fine, but I think 100% Long Fibered Sphagnum is the best for Ventricosa. Ceph88, he already has peat, he's looking for sphagnum.

Travis, get it out of ther right now.Pure peat will suffocate them rot your N.Ventricosa's roots. Plant into Pure Spahgnum moss if possible. I'll message you a place to get some from as I am not posting it publicly here. But I have had excellent results with pure Spahgnum moss/Peat,Perlite 50/50 mix of it/Sphagnum,Orchid Bark,Perlite is good, but the BEST results are with Pure Living Sphagnum moss.

(Edited by nepenthes gracilis at 7:36 pm on April 8, 2002)

Here's a source: http://www.orchid-supplies.com/orchid_moss.html

So Nep. G., if a nep gets shipped to you in a small container in pure peat you should transplant ASAP into pure moss or some other airy medium? I just ordered a couple and they arrived in pure peat. I'm a little apprehensive about putting them through the extra shoc of transplantation after shipment.
:confused:

(Edited by Dyflam at 8:32 pm on April 8, 2002)

Yes Dyflam, it is better to put a Nep. through all shock when it is in shock then it will be over with it for a while. You can avoid shock but holding the plant with your hand, turn the pot upside down and tap the bottom of the pot then when the soil ball slides out no roots will have been disturbed, then simply slide the root ball into a hole made in the new airy Sphagnum mix.

Perlite it one of those things that over time will break down and release things into the soil that some plants don't like. Nepenthes being one of those plants that don't like it.

You can plant things in pure peat, you must just be careful and watch the soil to make sure it doesn't get super compact.

BUT...If you replant every year, you will aviod that issue. And as most plants like the root space you are doing them a great justice.

I have all my Nepenthes in plain peat moss and I haven't lost one to rot. I do however replant and watch the soil to make sure everything is cool.

Remember that many things will work for many people. I do understand that soil that cannot breath will suffocate the roots and will cause rotting. But that isn't always the case. And if you monitor your plants for things, that is something that is easily caught and can be fixed.

If you think about it, it helps in many ways. It reminds to repot, and allows for more growth. And in some cases, these plants need more root space over time anyway.

My &#361.50
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from jaie on 12:33 am on April 9, 2002
Perlite it one of those things that over time will break down and release things into the soil that some plants don't like.  Nepenthes being one of those plants that don't like it.

Hmm........I have never had bad results with Perlite. I have heard of it though. I would say if your plants get dried out once in a while then get rewatered and flushed don't worry about it. I have heard that the only problem perlite cause from the "flurides" that get realeased when it gets old is that your Nepenthes do not die but simply don
t like it and could cease pitchering,growth,etc. But in general I say if your soil is refreshed or you replant often (every 1-3 years) then you'll be fine. Just my speech for the week.
smile.gif

You can plant things in pure peat, you must just be careful and watch the soil to make sure it doesn't get super compact.

BUT...If you replant every year, you will aviod that issue.  And as most plants like the root space you are doing them a great justice.

I have all my Nepenthes in plain peat moss and I haven't lost one to rot.  I do however replant and watch the soil to make sure everything is cool.

Remember that many things will work for many people.  I do understand that soil that cannot breath will suffocate the roots and will cause rotting.  But that isn't always the case.  And if you monitor your plants for things, that is something that is easily caught and can be fixed.  

If you think about it, it helps in many ways.  It reminds to repot, and allows for more growth.  And in some cases, these plants need more root space over time anyway.

My &#361.50
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I relize this has nothing to do with Tropical Pitcher plants but it is in the same topic. Can D. Adelea survive in pure Sphagnum Peat moss?  If not I will just transplant the sundew along with my N. ventricosa.

Thanks,
Trav

(Edited by Travis at 10:11 pm on April 9, 2002)

adelae would fare better in pure peat than ventricosa, but what's really best for adelae is pure living Sphagnum. Also good are pure dead sphag, 1:1 peat/sand or, I have found, 2:1:1:1 dead sphag/peat/sand/perlite. I'd recommend you transplant it now, but it isn't really necessary.

Chris

Thanks for the info. I will probably transplant the adelae and the ventricosa when I receive my Sphagnum moss. I am hoping to receive it tomorrow, as it has been a week since I have order it.

Travis

Well, I just transplanted my N. ventricosa again. This time instead of Sphagnum Peat Moss I put it in Pure Long Sphagnum Moss. I hope it survives the shock. :shocked: It survived the first transplant. I am just worried I may hurt the roots
sad.gif
. I was trying to get the Sphagnum peat moss off, as I did leave a little on. Is the N. ventricosa a pretty hardy plant for transplanting? If it survives the first week I will post a picture on this forum.
smile.gif

Travis

Well, repotting a nep is not akin to repotting your begonias. Nepenthes roots are thin and easily damaged, in my experience.

Try to avoid temperature extremes, keep humidity high and in bright but not direct light, or, much better, lit artificially in a humid terrarium. If your plant survives, it may not resume growth for several months. Good luck!

Chris

Back