What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ventricosa

Well, yesterday I got Nep.  The only thing is, I have no idea how to take care of it, because I haven't read anything detailed on it.  It's a N. ventricosa that grew from a cutting, but it does not look like the photo on petflytrap.com.  It's got 2 mature pichers and one baby, they are all red.  It looks to be planted in the bark style mix for Neps, but that is about all I know about it.  Oh and it has no fluid in it's mature pichers.  Any information would be great!  Thanks so much.

N. ventricosa is a highland plant, so you should give it temperature drops during the night for best growth. There isn't any fluid in them because the pitchers were probably emptied before shipping. N. ventricosa is very hardy and easy to grow.

Hey Darcie,
I have found that if you don't replace the fluid in the pitcher, it will dry up pretty fast. I filled the pitchers on my new neps about 1/3 full with pure water, and they lasted a good while (almost until the plants came out of transport shock). When I didn't do that, the pitchers would dry up in a couple of weeks.
Other than that, do a google search on "nepenthes ventricosa" and you should pull up lots of good stuff.

N. ventricosa will tolorate lowland conditions also but, keep it on the cooler side and the humidity up and it will do fine.

Okay, cool. The adding of the fluid and humidity was my biggest consern. However, this plant was never shipped and I'm guessing the CP guy emptied it so people would be able to bring it home easyer (it is a cutting from the Fredrick Meijer Gardens CP Growers greenhouse
smile.gif
)

I'll be sure to give it some water in it's mature pitures now. Thanks all
smile.gif
(I'll also do a serch once I can get my laptop hooked up)

-Darcie

Okay. Good news. I went out to try and figure out why my plant didn't look like the N. ventricosa I had seen befor and it is because it is the 'Red' varrient. Anyways, I fixed it up by my grow lights for now and I'll put it in a terrarium as soon as I get one. It seems to be a happy little plant as it's largest baby picher seems to have notably increased in size since yesterday
smile.gif
Reminds me of a VFT in peek growth.

Back