What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new to Nepenthes and have a ?

a few weeks ago i purchaced a Nepenthes cheap from a Home Depot type "greenhouse". i had noticed it a few months ago and decided i didnt want to try one for the price they had on it however 6 weeks later they had it marked down to about $10 so i picked it up. it appears quite healthy and although it currently doesnt have any full size pitures there are quite a few new ones just starting to form. my question is what species/hybrid is it likly to be? since i know for the a fact it not only survived a less then ideal enviroment(humidity was slightly higher than the outdoor humidity in North Dakota in the summer during most of its stay at the "greenhouse", whitch is to say prolly well under 50%) for a good deal of time, it is also producing new healthy leaves and traps. so i figure it is one of the more hardy species but since i have no clue as to what the pitchers look like i dont know where to begin lookin. i have been reading the Nepenthes University website and will have "The Savage Garden" by the end of the week. the plant is currently sitting amongst some orchids and i have a plans for a "grow chamber" forming in my head. any ideas are appreciated.

sheridan s.

I saw some N. Coccineas marked down in Melbourne to 10 bucks. It really can vary. Is there any way you can get a picture of it? Since it has no pitchers, the leaf shape and distance between leaves is what is needed.

Here are some possible options:

N. Coccinea
N. Ventrata
N. Miranda
N. Gentle

SF

Hi there, well we can't help too much with identification without a photo of your plant, there are aproximately 90-100 true species of Nepenthes and countless hybrids.
Nepenthes will survive in less than ideal conditons (especially greenhouse hybrids) but pitchering is a different story. Humidity must remain very high (minimum of 80%) for pitchering to occur as well the plants soil must be constistently damp, never allowed to dry out.

Here is a link to some information on Nepenthes cultivation: Basic Nepenthes Cultivation I hope it helps some!

well ill try to get a pic online this week. may take a bit since i dont have a digital camera, have to scan the 35mm neg. im obviously new to this forum and am curious as to weither i should do a new post or should i just place it on this one in order to get the more ppl lo look over it

It would be easier to put it in this one. It's already at the top of the list.

SF

Back