What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange growth

Today on my routine inspection( checking for slackers and lazey plants) My N. ventricosa x talangensis has done something strange. Its tendril is going deep into the LFS I have it planted in. Its going straight down and I have it in an orchid basket so if wants to it can pop out the bottom. Has any one else had this happen.

Has happened to me but it only went 1" deep. My plant was small at the time and I wanted all the pitchers I could get.

Something similar happened to my N merrilliana with the second newest leaf. It basically threw the tendril into the soil and started producing the pitcher there. I hadn't noticed until yesterday, but all I did was move some of the orchid bark and LF sphagnum off of it. No biggie!
smile.gif

Joel

Mine is down deep like 2 inches down and doesn't want to come out. This 2" down past the lose top soil though and it only took like 3 days to get down that far.

Nepenthes will regularly thrust thier tendrils into the soil to anchor themselves and keep themself upright and straight. The only Nepenthes that will thrust EVERY tendril into the soil is N.Argentii which grows where there are high winds and it simply needs to keep itslef from blowing away somehow! and it is the growth habit of it. I would personally let your plants anchor themselves!
smile.gif
It is pretty cool to have a pitcher halfway subterrainean anyway!

Oh, kewl... thats really neat... I need more room so that i can use bigger pots...

NG is right!! Having a pitcher coming out of the ground is reallly cool. I think that I'm gonna cover that pitcher again!
wink.gif

Joel

i know this has nothin to do with it but the tendril is the little stem that connects the leaf to the picther right?

( feels ashamed, neps are my FAVORITE species of carnivous plants and im not sure what tenddril is)

but i am 99.9% positive its the stem that connects the leaf and the pitcher right? just wanan make sure
smile.gif

Yeap, thats right! The leafy part is the base, the tendril is the petiole, and the pitcher is the leave... Apprently...

I was just about to put up that site too! Hehehe! Mindmaze, I would personally (if it is your only Merrilliana pitcher) uncover it slightly. Just so that you have an active pitcher to give the plant some nutrients then you can let your other pitchers do what they want to after that. Just a suggesstion.
smile.gif
And I am happy to announce I will get my very first Merrilliana pitcher soon! My old Merrilliana that was super-shocked came back through! I now have 2 Merrilliana's! Cool eh?

thanks mindmaze that helped alot

whats the runner and side shoot? is the side shoot a new leaf comin out and the runner is a baby sorta? and i have been meanin to ask, do neps only grow from seeds or if my ventrosica grows really big will ir sprout a baby or 2 next to it? the the adelae and it has its babies under the leafs? if that is so thats cool, it has been buggin me for a bit

Back