What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is sphagnum seasonal?

I have noticed that my beautiful sphagnum moss garden inside my highland chamber has pretty much dried up, there is still green living moss everywhere but it is not as vibrant, they are not making the spore danglers, etc. the sphagnum seems to have retreated. The conditions have been the same for a year with climate controls on humidity, airflow, lighting and night time cooling the only difference lately is the warmer days (which never gets above  85*F in summer but for most of the year is only 70-75*F).

Is sphagnum that is subjected to night time cooling and highland conditions subjected to retreating (I wouldn't say dying but not growing as it was) in the warmer months?

I think this is weird because the sphagnum and mosses in my lowland chambers don't seem affected at all by any ambient features (they are always hot and steamy).

Just wonderin' I guess! Thanks for any toughts!

EDIT: too bad I can't edit the title of this post!
sad.gif

Josh, do you know the origin of your Sphagnum? If it's from a temperate/cold temperate climate it's probably going dormant. If not then maybe just that generation is over and a new one will come up. I also fixed your topic title.

Hi Dustin,
I kinda know where it's from, it's partly the "NZ Sphagnum" stuff from the store that comes to life after a long time (I got a lot of weird ferns and one sundew outta that stuff too) and then there is some short carpeting forest moss stuff (it's obviously not sphagnum) that must've come in from the air duct.

I know you used to have that local NY sphganum in your terrarium, when your spahgnum is dying off (but not dying as I've still got lots of green underneath the top layer) what does it look like?

Thanks for any thoughts!

WHen mine dies off it turns yellowish brown and crispy...then returns slowly. I can never seem to get the cool lush green look other growers can obtain in nepenthes pots. I would love a carpet of it in an N. hamata pot!

Back