What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes alata

trashcan

O:-)
Hi. I purchased several plants from a local garden store under the impression that they were N.alata (the label in Japanese phonetically translates to Nepenthes). I left one in the pot it came in, and planted the other outdoors (my soil couldn't possibly have any less nutrients). Anyway, the potted one started pitchering after about a month. The other started pitchering just recently (four months later). You can see the first pitcher from this plant below (it's red).. The greener pitchers are from the potted alata (see the pot in the background ;-) ). Is this a different type of plant or a hybrid? It looks very different. Both plants receive the same amount of sun, and I water them at the same time.

Patrick

n_alata_2.jpg

n_alata.jpg

I'm no expert but the greener one looks like N. alata, and the redder one looks like it's a hybrid like N. Ventrata.

The first pic is definately a N. Alata while the second pic, I'm quite sure. I have a N. Ventrata and it doesn't look like it at all.

eplants, Ventrata is a hybrid, not all of them will look the same. Even plants that come from seeds from the same plant will all be different from each other. Both alata and ventricosa are highly variable, many shapes & color combonations. So it depends on the parents it has.

(Edited by Statik2426 at 9:40 pm on May 5, 2002)

Patrick are you back for good and doesn't alata have a little hook between the wings. I also thought that alata had goood wings. I think there both ventrata.

i think the 1st one is alata

but im not a expert.............YET

:biggrin:

nice plants, eh?

Statik2426, I know N. Ventrata is a hybrid. N. Alata(lowland) and N. Ventricosa make up N. Ventrata

The Nepenthes Alata looks very much like this one.
alata10.jpg

Yup that looks just like my plant. Whose plant is that? Yours? If so, how big is it? I just measured mine today and from the base to the tip of the peristome and it is seven inches (the pitcher!). I'm very proud of it. I know its a "beginner plant," but it only had two two inch pitchers when I bought it....

Patrick

Oh its Pierre's plant! Hehe. He is the only other person on Okinawa that I know of (I'm sure there are more) that is into CPs. I'm trying to think when I originally purchased the plant... My memory is hazy- Nov-Dec? ...

Patrick

I like that Alata! Wish I had one.

Back