What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. bicalcarata 'giant red'

Does anyone have any information or pictures of this plant?
nep-bic3.jpg

This plant is huge...is anyone growing it? I think it looks beautiful. Please post pics or information about this giant!

This guy is brand new and in TC I belive. No one has it is cultivation besides Malesiana or will have it in soon. Don't expect cheap prices or easy posession of it anytime soon.

Oh, that's out of the question...I was just wondering how big it gets...it is called 'Giant' so...how big does it get? Bical. are already pretty big..this thing has gotta be huge.

It's mouth looks alot bigger than mine, but that's all. One piece of advice, don't feed them guppies.

The name is probably either a 'showstopper' name or true. Most plants are called 'giant' simply because they are spectacular looking. Look at P. gigantea, it not bigger just has the added feature of double sticky leaves. My guess would be tho the pitchers are larger. Plant size might be bigger but not generally.

Well, they will not have this plant soon, as I had asked about it and the TC plants are looking like hybrids, as they have no fangs.
P. gigantea can get big for some, BTW. There is a guy in California that grows them the size of dinner plates.

Regards,

Joe

But guppies are so tempting...lol
What is "TC"? If your talking about the Bical..it has fangs..they just look a little bigger and wider apart.

Joe, really!? I;'ve never seen one that big.

The gigantea in P.gigantea signifies the size of the leaves. I have personally seen giganteas 9-12in. I have heard that they can grow even bigger.

Wow, Regardless if I don't really like the red..that's still a stunning plant. I want my Bical to become as golden yellow as a plant I saw online...But I think mine may be red...

Hey Ozzy!

What about feeding a N. bical a slug?

I second that warning about feeding guppies to your Nepenthes.

Maybe the guppies can live inside the plant for periods of time and eat whatever else goes in there...
tounge.gif

guppies could probabaly live in the pitcher just like frogs and there tad poles . the frog can catch the bugs , crap in the water and ive the plant nutrients like a bromeiad .

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Griffin @ Sep. 27 2003,8:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, they will not have this plant soon, as I had asked about it and the TC plants are looking like hybrids, as they have no fangs.
 P. gigantea can get big for some, BTW. There is a guy in California that grows them the size of dinner plates.

Regards,

Joe[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I think you are talking about good old phil faulisi. his largest gigantea was i think, 15 inches. I think he has a giant 24 inch one though
wow.gif
I have seen pictures of this giant, its beautiful. (i cant recall if it was 15 inches or 24 inches, i think it was 24 inches)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ Sep. 28 2003,9:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
I think you are talking about good old phil faulisi. his largest gigantea was i think, 15 inches. I think he has a giant 24 inch one though
wow.gif
I have seen pictures of this giant, its beautiful. (i cant recall if it was 15 inches or 24 inches, i think it was 24 inches)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Wow I'd love to see a picture of that gigantea.

Spec,

It was 14in. Check the listserv.

You figured me out. Yes it's Phil's and I think he grows them is a tray so the have more humidity from the moist medium. Mine don't grow too big, so I bow to him. I grow mine in tanks and if I keep a thin layer of water on the bottom of the tank, they should benefit from the same humidity syndrome, so I am guessing there is more involved.
Whoops, I guess we are off topic talking about pings, lol.
Joe

Maybe the plant needs supplemental feeding(with insects etc.)

Back