Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ventricosa pitchers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this happens to my ventricosa. It always pitchers well for a few months. then, for some reason, it stops pitchering, and the pitchers turn half black. 2-3 months later, it starts another explosion of pitchers. Then, again, 2-3 months later, it stops growing and the pitchers turn half black. I wonder if this is just a natural cycle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everybody:

Yes, Ventricosa is known to produce an explosion of pitchers and then they die down half way from the top!!. Please read this link:

http://www.malesiana.tropicals.com.m...nep.html#pitch

it refers to both partially dried pitchers and pitcher producing habits of neps.

The problem i have with my ventricosa is that it does not want to pitcher at all. I found no insects, fungus, the leaves are light green and the plants around it do pitcher. I just can't explain it.

Gus

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gus...I'll check it out. Very interesting. I appreciate that. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Swords, the ventricosa is in a tank which sits in a west-facing window. So its not in the open and its quite humid in the tank (partially closed) but there is air circulation. There are two tanks...one with my ventricosa and a raff. Tank below has droserae and a ping in it.

Its interesting others have experienced this half-black event. I just hate losing them...the pitchers are quite pretty before the blackening.

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How west facing is that window? The setting sun is quite hot and intense on plants in a western facing window at late summer/autumn time. If the plant received cooler direct sun from sunrise til noon would be better for a cool growing plant. It sounds like the humidity just isn't high enough at all times (try covering the whole lid). It might simply be getting too dry in the afternoon when the sun is going down, when it's at it's most intense and radiant heat level is when your Nep needs high humidity most.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't think the tank gets too hot. I've had more concerns that its not warm enough considering how FREEZING it is in my office. Even with the direct sun its getting, its late sun. When I put my hand in the tank its warmer than the ambient office temp but never real hot. And I'm sure the humidity is fine. If anything it might be too humid. Often the glass is totally fogged up (there's wet sphagnum moss in the bottom of the tank to assist in raising the humidity). When its very foggy I open up the top a little more to let more air in.

OK...I just checked the gauges I put in yesterday. Temperature is 75 degrees and the humidity is 80%. That sounds reasonable to me.

I just feel like the pitchers are blackening prematurely. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] Its last beautiful pitcher, open for about a month or so, is already starting to blacken. It starts on the peristome first and spreads. Other than this, the plant is growing well and pretty fast. There are two more pitchers well on their way to forming and two tendrils ready to pitcher.

I wish I could stop this...it would be quite a beautiful plant if it didn't have all the half-pitchers on it. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Thanks for the help Swords...and everybody else.

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12