Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: help with nepenthes bicalcarata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cross of N. bicalcarata x gracilis is naturally occurring in Brunei, and is often called N. Cantleyi. Unfortunately, the fangs of N. bicalcarata are somewhat reccessive. All the Cantleyi plants I've seen do not have fangs. The hybrid of N. bicalcarata x rafflesiana will show nubs instead of fangs. Other bical crosses I've seen are also fangless, but have the distinctive bical influence in shape and peristome form.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My N. xCantleyi is N. gracilis x N. bicalcarata. Isn't the maternal plant a differentiating aspect in hybrids? That would mean N. bical x N. gracilis isn't the same hybrid, right?

-Confused [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

But to answer the other question, no, my Cantleyi doesn't have fangs. That picture of a pitcher (! ) doesn't look much like the pitchers on my N. xCantleyi, unless that pitcher is deformed or old:
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi D,
    Your plant pictured is still immature. As they get larger, the bical influence becomes more noticeable. As for which plant bears the seed pod being dominant- normally "mom's" characteristics seem to dominate, but not always. One thing is for sure-no fangs. On a mature plant, there is a pair of beads where the peristome meets the lid. Also, N. Cantleyi can be both (N. gracilis x N. bicalcarata) and (N. bicalcarata x N. gracilis) These reciprical hybrids carry the same name. Same holds true with other plants, like Sarracenia or orchids. S. mitchelliana is S. mitchelliana, makes no difference whether the seed pod bearing parent is S. purpurea or S. leucophylla.
    Maybe a better example would have been N hookeriana, since this is the Nepenthes discussion group. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, i didnt get the red bical as i wanted =(
    anyone knows where i can buy the red version of the bical, online?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one here:

It looks just like the picture. Well, it did until four of the five pitchers died right after shipping. Now it's growing nicely and two new pitchers are due to open over the next week or weeks. In another thread I explained that bicalcarata, IMO, hate shipping. My other bicalcarata did better, but still worse than all the other plants in its order. Keep that in mind when you order your plant. It will need TLC when you get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this a first, as I ID's the pic immediately as a N. 'Cantleyi'. It may vary from bical to bical, but a 12" diameter one "should" have fangs(all the ones of that sized I have seen have, but that is just my observation).
    The giant red bical from Malaysiana all turned out to be hybrids, but I had not heard of what. I would like to see what the plant looks like when it really gets going.

regards,

joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to concur: a bical 12 inches across will have perfect miniature version pitchers of a larger plant.
    Joe, it's funny you mention the bicals turn out to be hybrids. I've seen this happen before and its the chance you (or Malesiana) takes with seed collected in the wild. Actually, we have a really pretty (bicalcarata x rafflesiana) that is the result of the same type of situation. It does not have fangs, but a pretty, dark red peristome with a pair of nubs just under the lid.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My small bicalcarata, not the red one, has little fangs and it is smaller than the plant in question. They are soft, but clearly there. I just checked. If I wasn't running out of space, I'd post a pic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast