What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new Nep identification

Hey PFT ppl

I just found a cool Nep at the mall today and I bought it for 10 (a seedling not a big plant) but I need some help in identifying it. I don't have a picture, but I can tell you that it looks almost exactly like N x 'Tiveyi' only with black dots on the pitcher. It cost me &#3610 so I think it was worth it. I'll definitly post a pic of the big pitchers once the plant grows a little more. thanks

Joel

What type of nepenthes ventricosa do I have that came from pft ? I just got it two days ago and the ones I see in my book look really different . Mine was green , the book's was yellow . Mine had wings , the book had none . Mine had a lid with hairs on it , the book had none . Mine had the tendril on the side , the book had it on the rear end . What are the care instructions for it and what type of species is it .

Every plant is not the same my friend. N.Ventricosa has wings when it is young. It will abort them when near maturity. Tendrils can form ANYWHERE on the pitcher but generally from the sides and back. Care instructions for N.Ventriocosa are the same for typical highland species.

dont forget it can live in lowland temps too

Don't start me off on that discussion again, or this will be a never ending battle-thread.
smile.gif

(Edited by nepenthes gracilis at 3:32 pm on May 19, 2002)

Nepenthes ventricosa doesn't do as well in lowland conditiond. I wouldn't sugdest growing it that way.

well i grow mine outside here in south florida, 80% humid or above, 75-85 degrees, sometimes it gets to 90

its growing wonderfully, and sorta fast, just 1 thing, the pitchers are a bit small, i think ill add more super thive

Does anyone know of a veitchii hybrid that produces a pitcher with a blue-green peristome and has black dots on the pitcher? That's the form of the pitchers of my unidentified Nep. It looks alot like tiveyi but with different colors.

Joel

Now I wouldn't be goign and shooting it up with SUperthrive if you've already given it some in the last month. If you HAVEN'T given it any in longer than 2 months then give it a go. Joel, no idea what you nep would be unless I had a picture for better clarification. All I can do now is imagine.
smile.gif

Now I wouldn't be goign and shooting it up with SUperthrive if you've already given it some in the last month. If you HAVEN'T given it any in longer than 2 months then give it a go. Joel, no idea what you nep would be unless I had a picture for better clarification. All I can do now is imagine.
smile.gif
BUT by the osunds of it, it could be N. Veitchii x Spectabilis or maby N. Veitchii x Stenophylla OR N.Veitchii x Maxima?

na, i wont, its raining right now, been raining all day,

my ven is safely under the ficus tree, i took the bical, mirabilis, and purpurea and hooked em onto the pole where i put the hammock and they like losa water so i put em there, i just took em in, and they got a nice drainy mix
wink.gif

It kind of sounds like it could be a spotted hirusta, with the description of the peristome.

Tuyen, it could be a juvenile pitcher if it has hairs on the lid... Meaning, thats not what the adult pitchers look like... That would explain wings, as I dont even think that lower ventricosa pitchers have wings...

To answer tuyen thi's question. PFT carries a red variety of N.Ventricosa. Since your plant is still young the pitchers are still changing and in time there coloration will come out more. Here's what it needs 70-85 in the day and 55-69 at night is good. Keep it in the shade for now with +60% humidity. Once your plant has put out 2-3 new leaves post here again and we can instruct you how to acclimate your plant to lower humidity.

Photo's in books are usually of ADULT plants. They look more impressive than if the book were to show baby plants. Upper pitchers of Ventricosa usually have tendrils coming from behind, but lower ones come from all over. It's the same with a lot of other plants too, like Rafflesiana lower pitchers commonly have the tendril coming up the front but upper pitchers from behind. I beleive the PFT Ventricosa are the red form.

"what type of species is it"
IT's N. VENTRICOSA!

BTW, Tuyen please make a new topic instead of asking in somebody elses topic who wants answers too. Everyone forgot about mindmazes question! I notice you seem to always compare your plants with pictures and seem to be dissapointed when you do.

You should be able to tell N. x tiveyi as it should have a very flared and large peristome. The larger peristome will begin to show in even juvenile pitchers of 3-4 inches Most of them are gold to green resembling the veitchii parent. Good luck.

Kim

My finger is on the ban button now =/

If you have a question about the plants that we carry email me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jaie@petflytrap.com

its people that order from the website and then ask other people here in the forums what kind of plant it is, with out even trying to ask the people who sold it to he/she

which phil and jaie sold it to he/she why wouldnt he/she ask phil and jaie about what kind of plant it is instead of asking and posting here

ahh. i see. Yes I do see why jaie has his finger on the "ban" button now.

Back