What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy?

I just bough my first nepenthes and i am wondering if nepenthes required dormancy? I dont think it needs it but im am not sure. Any help will gladley accepted

First off "
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Welcome to the forums
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
",Brails.

Nepenthes are tropical CP meaning they do not require dormancy. What Nepenthes did you get?

I have had a VF for 1\2 a year and it didnt die. So i figured if i can keep my VF alive i can get some other plants. My nepenthes is a ventrcosa. I also got sarracenia purpurea and a Green dragon bulb because its cheap.

Howdee Brails! Not to burst your bubble on the venus flytraps but I find ALL other CPs I've tried easier to grow than those cursed little snappers!  
wink.gif

Nepenthes do not need any kind of dormancy but some of them are very demanding in regards to their temperature. N. ventricosa is said to be a good starter plant because it can take a wide range of temperatures.
Neps are generally classified as either "lowland Nepenthes" which need 70-90*F degree days and 70*F nights or "highland Nepenthes" which need 80*F days and 50*F nights. These temps are required year round not just one or two months out of the year so you may need to do some adjusting of your growing area if you want to keep the more demanding species. Or you may end up with a frankesteins lab like I have so you can grow both types!  
biggrin.gif

There are some Nepenthes which can exist in temps between the two above extremes. Many times hybrid plants made by crossing a highland and lowland will make a plant which is easy to grow in just about any temperature conditions so long as it's never below 50*F or over 95*F and humidity remains high. More light is better than less if you want your Nepenthes to make the intensely colored pitchers.

Good luck with your ventricosa!

I have one more question. As i came back from school i saw that my traps are turning a little yellow. dose this mean its going to die? i already have some black traps that i need to cut off.

again any help will be accepted

Usually nepenthes lose most (or all) of their open pitchers after shipping. The leaves are a much better indicator of how healthy it is. Ventricosa is a very good one to start with.

Back