Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Growing Nepenthes as an epiphyte display

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a cool idea. But here are some things to think about. The log you want to plant them wont it give off nutrients to the spag. moss and change the ph? One more thing I am no expert on frogs but how are you going to feed yours if you use something kinda small you neps might eat it. Otherwise this sounds cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well like I mentioned the "tree" will just be a giant cork bark tube (Twin Cities Reptiles sells cork bark in every shape and size imaginable. These are nice "jungle" zie tree trunks. As far as I know Cork is a stable substance used by most everyone who has epiphytic orchids or animal terrrariums whites frogs eat crickets, etc. and are pretty immobile fat & smilin tree hangin frogs. You can even feed em by hand just like the neps. I'll bet the whites wouldn't even fit into a pitcher if you tried! 8-)

As far as lighting I have any number of options: Metal Halide (my choices on hand are 175w, 250w or a dual 400 watt) , normal flourescent or compact flourescent. what do you all suggest?
    I had some power compacts over my lowland nep terrarium and the light was too much even with 90%+ humidity and my plants burned so I'm hesitant to use the MHs on anything other than a an actual "grow" or "greenhouse" room as terrraiums get too overly hot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your right that the halides would cause heat problems although they would also have the intensity to produce strong enough light far down into the grow chamber. Compact or perhaps high output fluorescent might be a good trade off between intensity and heat production.
    Tony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12