User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Does my bical have tooth decay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you remember my bical had the terrarium lid fall on it and snap the growing point off a few weeks ago. Well the meristem cells must still be there as the broken off point has sprouted a new growth point from the severed area!
    So all is appearing well and good but then I see the leaf/pitcher that was in progress during the accident has just opened two days ago and while inspecting it throughly today I saw that the fangs in the new pitcher are missing! I do not know if they formed and fell off (or were eaten by some unseen predator of nepenthes nectar glands) or if they never formed due to the trauma of the growing tip being snapped off while the pitcher bud was forming...

Any ideas? Should I start brushing my plants teeth? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You say the pitcher was in development when the lid fell on it?

Perhaps the cells that form the teeth were damaged as well, and/or the pitcher opened partially incomplete due to the shock, so it could have a feeding aparatus to assist it in these 'troubled times'. (I am sure you are making up for it with a plethora of incredible not usualy given care regimens&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an unusual development. I wouldn't worry though. If your plant had fangs below, they will return to pitchers made in the future. All the best.

Kim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow! already it has a new growing point?everyone said it would be like six months! did you ever get that part that snapped of to root?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you reread the other thread I mentioned it would be 6months or so before any new shoot would be roughly the same size as the original growing point. Not 6months to develop a new shoot.
    T
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes there's a new shoot but definately not the glorious new leaf I was hoping to have at this time (the pitcher could have been 5+" tall at the speed it was growing).

But at least I'm seeing growth and know that I'm not wasting space with the damaged plant and will have something to be happy about again in the next few months. I just was so shocked over seeing the missing teeth!

I guess there was not actually the growing tip but the top two leaves (which had just pulled back from the previous opened (toothless) leaf so there was no way to root that. I considered that the growing point but perhaps only the next few leaves will be set back We'll see! I'll get batteries for my crummy digital camera and show what's "come up" so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sword, did you save the piece that broke off.
    i have a broken off peice of a diff. type of nep. that i broke off just to get off shots from it. i did how ever put the broken off piece into some potting mix and it has been 2 weeks and it is still the same color it was when i broke it off. i haven't checked it for root but i am surprize that it is still a bright green color and maybe it will root.
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida