What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cantley's red, first pic: post your new baby

cantleysred1.jpg

I've been afraid to post a pic. since I got it.  This is the first nep I've ever gotten shipped to me where not one pitcher died.  
biggrin.gif

wow.gif

confused.gif

Anyway, I don't want to mess up a good thing.  But, in another thread I promised I'd let everyone know how it goes.  I'm officially off the lowland deep end.

What's your new "baby"?

I dont want to brag, but I have 23 new babies, and more coming
smile.gif
. My favorites right now are my new N. faizaliana, N. northiana, N. rafflesiana giant, N. veitchii, N. rampsina (very beautiful), N. tentaculata (I've wanted one since my first nepenthes&#33
wink.gif
, and N. stenophylla (one of my all time favorites, and very uncommon). I cant wait for the N. ampullaria giant, N. spectabilis giant, N. macrophylla, and N. hamata! I wish to the lord I had a digital camera
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

Oh Beagle, that is stunning! I can see you're going to have a lot of fun with that one.

My new babies are a N. truncata and a N. Sanguinea.

Oh sure, 23 children, no camera. What will you say when they leave their root systems one day? They grow up fast you know.

That's a very pretty N. ampullaria!

What is the "giant" form of N. ampullaria? I don't remember having heard of it... Unless it's the Tayeve, form from Irian Jaya sold by Wistuba which is supposed to be larger than normal but how much larger I don't know.

I don't know exactly what new babies I'm getting this fall. I never seem to get my full order, something is always "out". Some of what I ordered are:

N. dubia
N. talangensis
N. sp. Doormans Top sp. 1 (from last order)
N. rafflesiana gigantea (from last order)
N. villosa (from last order)
N. glabrata
N. mira
N. muluensis
N. murudensis
N. insignis (Tayeve form)
N. ampullaria (Tayeve form)
N. neoguineensis
N. tentaculata (the Sulawesi form that looks like a toothless silver and purple hamata! )
N. albomarginata (red form)
N. reinwardtaina (highland red form)

I forget the rest and my old PC burned up so I don't have any of my old files to look up! But total (not including the backordered ones from last order) it's about 30 plants that should arrive sometime between Oct-Nov.

My newest additions are my highlanders: fusca, faiziliana (which may turn out to me another variety of fusca....read that in a previous thread), x 'Ventrata', macfarlenei, alata, khasiana and aristichioides.

You can see a pic of the set up in the terrariums forum.

My new "babies" are N. hareliana var. 'Red Skelton', and N. xTomomi x xTiveyi.
smile.gif

My new babies are diatas, inermis, lowii and gymnamphora. And I have a jacquelinae on the way
smile.gif

Very pretty N. ampullaria! Color looks odd for 'Cantley's Red'

New babies? o hmm ....lots of new babies
wink.gif

Tony

New baby: N. Mastersiana purpurea.

Maybe the 'Cantley's Red' is a little less intense if grown on the shady side?

Trent

Trent,

The pitchers are much brighter now than they were.

I keep mentioning our weather conditions in a lot of posts, I know, because I don't want the powers-that-be to get mad at me for taking unjust credit.

We've had that diffuse light and ultra-high humidity that we get sometimes. In 1998 or 1999, without a greenhouse, nothing carnivorous would have survived outside in Florida, anywhere: prolonged drought.

Now, with the weather, I put a lowlander outside: the leaves get waxy and colorful. Spotting goes away immediately. The pitchers get bigger and more colorful. I am smart enough to know good lowland conditions now. For that I deserve a bit of credit. Having them out the back door all the time, OTOH...

I'm with you on that. Where we are located east of I-95 in Boca Raton, there has been no rain for two weeks until yesterday. The "cistern" was bone dry, and the RO unit running 24/7. Yet, a mile and half west of our place it rained nearly every day. It was frustrating to stand next to our thirsty Sarracenias in blazing sun looking west at huge, dark thunderheads and lightning. We were constantly misting in the greenhouse. My wife Michelle spent every afternoon last week rationing RO water. This morning at 7, with last nights rain, the greenhouse was in the low 70's F and humidity at 90%, I could see the Nepenthes breathing a sigh of relief. You can feel it on your skin: that proper "condition" Nepenthes enjoy.
I'm sure as the 'Cantley's Red' gains some size, the pitchers will be deeply colored and take on that heavy texture.

Trent

Gee, there has been alot of rain here! (Several miles west of Trent&#33
wink.gif
Hehehe! Almost every morning it sprinkled, but never really poured until last night.

My new babies (still to arrive) are a N. Sanguinea 'Red' and N. Ventricosa. Not impressive, but I'm getting there!

SF

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SnowyFalcon @ Sep. 26 2003,12:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My new babies (still to arrive) are a N. Sanguinea 'Red' and N. Ventricosa.  Not impressive, but I'm getting there!

SF[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Not impressive? Hehe, I like your new babies. Let me know how the sanguinea grows for you, i've recently become interested in the orange form myself.

I think when you can get a plant properly tweaked, if you know what I mean, they are all really "impressive." Rafflesiana are not super 'spensive plants, but based on the photos of big pitchers, they can be QUITE impressive -- just to name one of many. Sanguinea and ventricosa are plenty beautiful. That's one thing about pitchers, there is no shortage of beauty to go around.

I do like the red amps though. Since I'm limiting myself to lowland until I can properly do a highland habitat, it seemed like a logical way to go. If roses are beautiful, which they are, how about a rose-colored plant that will eat bugs?

Trent,

You could not be more right about the "nep feeling." It's like a warm, but not hot, towel in the face every morning. We've had morning rain, afternoon rain, evening rain, you name it. The last month +, I'm feelin' it!

Sure looks alot different than the picture you linked to on Borneo Exotics. I also had the original N. ampullaria Cantley's red and have several new clones of red N. ampullaria. Even under low light (2 40 watt fluorescent bulbs with no supplimental sunlight) they still get a nearly solid red flush of color instead of that speckled look.

Did you buy it as N. ampullaria 'Cantley's Red'?

So no need for folks to get all defensive but looking at that picture it looks nothing like any red clone N. ampullaria I have seen. I am hoping I am wrong and Beagle will post a super blood red pitcher picture in a few months. But right now I feel he was taken by another nursery passing off a plant as something it isn't and knowing how expensive red N. ampullaria clones are.. that would really upset me.

Tony

Hi,

the clone of Beagle is an nice plant, but it doesn't look like N. ampullaria 'Cantley's red'. Grown under low light levels (a single 20W compact fluorescent bulb) pitchers should look like this:

(Click on the picture to get a bigger version.)

Cheers Joachim

I always wanted a N. cantley's red, but my pocketbook never allowed me to get one. *sigh*
sad.gif
maybe in the near future
confused.gif

Awesome ampullaria!
tounge.gif
That's one of my most wanted ampullarias including the tricolor ampullaria.

My new babies are gonna be an n. rafflesiana gigantea, an adult n. x cantleyi (not exactly a baby huh?
biggrin.gif
) , an n. madagascarensis, and a n. northiana
wink.gif

Back